From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send and Receive Messages via Bluetooth betweeen EV3 and Android Application

Hello,

we want to exchange String-Messages between an EV3 brick and an Android application. The Lego EV3 brick is programmed via Labview 2013 and LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS Module.

We first programmed this functionality with an older NXT brick without any problems. According to the following direct commads description (http://joanna.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/projects/NXT_DAME/data/nxt_direct_command.pdf) you can send Messages to specific Mailboxes. The Mailboxes can be used in the LabVIEW programm to use the messages on the NXT Brick or to request contents form NXT Mailboxes via Bluetooth to use a Message in an external application.

The newer EV3 communication Protocol is different. There you can not send Messages to Mailboxes with direct commands. Each Message gets a Name (Title) according to this documentation (https://github.com/mindboards/ev3sources/blob/master/lms2012/c_com/source/c_com.h) (WRITEMAILBOX). In the LabVIEW Module for LEGO MINDSTROMS, you can only select a Mailbox number to read contents, not a message name which was defined in the protocol.

How can I read out a Bluetooth Message in LabVIEW programm, wich was written with an external application to the EV3 brick?

Is Labview using specific Mailbox names to use them with the EV3 communication Protocol like Message Names?

The Antroid Smartphone is connected as Master, EV3 Brick is Slave.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(8,978 Views)

I send from my Mindstorms Ev3 to my phone and I received this message:�� title message

(I use Mindstorms Education Edition and MIT app inventor)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(8,611 Views)

Hello

Has anyone found a solution into this? Can NI stuff comment on that please? It seems like the Mindstorms toolkit for LV doesnt support EV3 bluetooth messages as EV3 doesnt use Maikboxes 1-10 concept (as was the case with NXT). On the other hand the official LEGO Mindstorms IDE (powered by LV!) supports and handles titled bluetooth messages, so there is a hope. Do we have to implement the ev3 messaging protocol in LV on our own? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,932 Views)