LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
STSLabs

Probe of a typedef cluster should use the typedef for display

Probing a typedef results in a vertical list showing all the fields in the cluster.  Creating the typedef cluster often involves organizing the fields in a particular layout, setting units etc.  It seems like probing the data and displaying it in the same format makes more sense.

For instance, I have a cluster of camera information set up as a strict typedef:

STSLabs_0-1653830762726.png

When I probe a wire of this information I get:

STSLabs_1-1653830848197.png

This cluster isn't too big so getting to all the information doesn't require a lot of searching and scrolling, but that can be an issue.  What's more of a pain is that the default unit for angles is rad and I cannot mentally convert them quickly so I end up having to double-click each 'rad' label in the probe window and change them to 'deg' so I can confirm the data is what I expect.

I know I can create a custom probe to display the typedef, but having to constantly create custom probes for each cluster is a bit of a burden.

Am I missing something?  Is there a good reason to NOT display the probe using the typedef?

4 Comments
fabric
Active Participant

I'd like to see it as an option when adding the probe. In my code I estimate retaining formatting would be preferable ~80% of the time, but there are cases when the typedef is just too large to display comfortably compared to the unformatted version.

Neil.Pate
Active Participant

I seem to recall (many years ago, sorry if this info is completely wrong) that the probe system was completely implemented in the C++ layer rather than LabVIEW. I think the cosmetic details of the datatype are perhaps not trivially accessible from that layer unless you create a probe. Of course it is entirely possible I am talking complete rubbish.

Still, this is a nice idea 🙂

PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

I suggested a similar typedef related idea many years ago. I was interested in the display of typedef constants on the block diagram and overcoming "typdef explosion".

I never considered presentation of probes but the goal is almost the same; present the typdef data to the developer in a specific format.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-Block-Diagram-design-for-typedefs/idi-p/940093

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

AristosQueue

Many types in LabVIEW do not have the same display in probe that they have as a typedef control. Refnums, for example, become integers where you can actually see the referenced number. Classes unroll into their private cluster details. The generic probes for a wire are always the deep introspection types -- and to do that, it builds a default display that is independent of UI customization meant for the front panel. If you want to use your typedef as a probe, pick it from the Custom Probes list. After the first time you do so, LV will remember that preference for that type of wire.