LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben_Phillips

Password protected VI's to have tiny indicator of such on node in block diagram

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

This is a bit nitpicky, but I'm submitting it anyway because it is probably very easy to implement, has no drawbacks I can think of, and should have no implications of feature collision.

It would be very nice if there were some kind subtle indicator on the (higher level) block diagram telling you that the subVI's BD will not be visible for learning, modification, or probing.  It's not a huge deal to just hit escape and then control+w to go back, but I've been doing this hundreds of times recently, having been inspired to dig through much of vi.lib after reading Darren's weekly Graphical Morsels column.

LVpassworddiagram2.png

Hmmm, actually now that I'm putting the graphic together, it's not quite as trivial a choice as I first thought ... how to indicate this without interfering with the wire terminals, not adding clutter somewhere else.

The lower right hand corner seems to be the least busy place of most VI's.  The graphic attached would be better if I took the effort to make the key graphic have a transparent background.

Maybe the little key icon should only show up when the user is mousing over the subVI node.

-Ben

PS  Just in case you were wondering, I did not make it a resolution to be as petty as possible in 2011. Pure coincidence on timing. 

4 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast
Not sure I like this on the BD, but it could be useful info on the VI hierarchy window. That window could use a boost in the information content per unit area.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I think I agree with Darin. For that reason, I have added a comment to this idea

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/A-VI-Hierarchy-window-that-shows-full-state-of-VIs-in-...

to add password info to the display info on the VI Hierarchy page.

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

I like the idea of putting more info in the vi hierarchy window. But this doesn't address the original concern. You have to open the vi only to find out that it is password protected. But looking for the info in a large hierarchy would be even more inconvenient.

Maybe adding something to the context help?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.