LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donkdonk

Digital display locked to chart legend (as an option)

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

Digital display Misalignment.png

Digital display Misalignment solution.png

In the old days the digital display was automatically aligned with the plot legend (if I remember well). Now it is by default not.

It takes some manual alignment actions to get them right. But don't resize your chart!! You can start all over again.

I propose the option to align the digital display as shown in the last picture.

(BTW, looking for duplicates I found one comment in http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Assembly-of-the-graph-s-plots/idc-p/1085440)

19 Comments
donkdonk

Sorry, you'll need a big display to see my idea Smiley Surprised,      Smiley Wink

dthor
Active Participant

Wonderful idea! Now, the pictures might be a bit overkill, being so big and all, but the Idea is a good one nonetheless.

abw_heatxfer

This is EXACTLY what I need. It would make so much sense to work this way.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Oh, also yes.

immercd1

Why can't we have digital displays in Waveform Graphs and XY Graphs also? 

crossrulz
Knight of NI

@immercd1 - Which value?  Graphs are arrays.  Charts are technically scalers with history.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
EricR
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

As alternatives, the displays have properties so you can programmatically control their location, relative to one another.  LabVIEW has many issues around creating a good layout.  LabVIEW NXG is better suited to handle good layout design.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
BASE10

@EricR

The digital displays can be repositioned programmatically as you suggest. However, as far as I can tell they can not be resized programmatically. I would love to be corrected, but I don't think I'm wrong.

In light of that,

OK, I have corrected myself! You can resize it, it's just that the size property is hidden a bit better than the position property. I still think that it's time to un-decline this obviously good correct idea.

I'd love to be using NXG and hoped that I would be doing so by now. But it's not a viable alternative for me since it still does not have hardware support for RIO, and I'm starting to doubt that it ever will.

Korsar

I Just tried for 4 hours to get the digital Displays right.

After starting the VI , the Displays are in wrong order, some of them stapled so that the value is not visible etc. 

There is no way to get them properly displayed!

2020-11-10 14_18_03-Window.png behind 2.90, 0.50 and 0.40 are the missing Digital Displays.

donkdonk

@ Korsar,

yes, sometimes it really is a nightmare. I cannot understand that it seems not to bother a lot of people.

I am disappointed that the idea is declined and the suggested workaround is really cumbersome.

I find myself using xy graphs and arrays-as-digital-displays to mimic charts. Annoying.

What you can do is to temporarily 'feed' your chart the numbers 1 to n (where n=number of channels).

Then place digital display with number 1 at the top and digital display with n at the bottom.

Then select all digital displays.

Use the "Distribute objects" tool (which you find some distance to the right of the "run" (or arrow) button).

I hope my contribution to solving your issue is helpful.