From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheQ

Add licensing and activation tools for packed project libraries (PPLs)

Currently, the Third-Party Licensing and Activation Toolkit doesn't handle PPLs. This makes creating a plugin, pay-per-component architecture difficult.  Handling licensing and activation of PPLs is needed as part of TPLAT or some other mechanism.

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner

2 Comments
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi Q. Great idea.

I'm curious about a possible work-around...

Can a TPLAT licensed Library be *inside* of a Packed Library (PPL)?

I don't know the answer, but maybe you know or can test.

Details

As we know, a Packed Library (.lvlibp) is created by converting a Library (.lvlib).  This process breaks the TPLAT licensing of the Library (which is the main point of your idea/post -- it would be great to fix that).

However, a Library can also be contained ***inside*** of a Packed Library, and I wonder if it's possible for such a Library (inside the Packed Library) to be licensed with TPLAT.

So, instead of building your licensed Library (Licensed.lvlib) into a Packed Library (Licensed.lvlibp), put it inside a "wrapper" Library (Wrapper.lvlib:Licensed.lvlib) and build that into a Packed Library (Wrapper.lvlibp:Licensed.lvlib).

- Does the building of such a PPL even succeed?
- Does the built PPL run?
- Is Licensed.lvlib inside of the PPL (i.e. Wrapper.lvlibp:Licensed.lvlib) still licensed with TPLAT?

TheQ
Active Participant

Jim,

We took your possible workaround and tested it two ways. First with the licensed library nested inside of another library that was built into a PPL, and second, with the PPL dependent on the licensed library. Neither one had the desired effect.  The problem is that there is no event/notification triggered when a PPL is loaded to set off TPLAT's activation

--Q

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner