Our online shopping is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring to Non-standard RS-485 Device

Solved!
Go to solution

I am designing an RS-485-based system for reading differential pressure from a pressure transducer. The attached diagram from the datasheet shows the pinout of the device, and the manufacturer confirmed the pinout this way:

Pin 1: Power +

Pin 2: Output +

Pin 3: Common (Also serial port common)

Pin 4: Power –

Pin 5: Tx

Pin 6: Rx

Obviously the pin out includes neither differential Tx and Rx pins nor Data (A)+ or Data (B)- pin designations, which seem to be the standard ways of wiring RS-485 devices together. (I have received the command list from the manufacturer, and it includes a command for setting the address of the slave device, which tells me that this is indeed an RS-422/RS-485 device.)

I'm planning to connect to the device with an NI 9871. I've read the 9871 Getting Started Guide (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372277g.pdf) and this KB (https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7mNSAS&l=en-US), and I'm pretty sure that my best bet is to try wiring the device up in 2-wire mode. However, I'm not sure which pairs of pins to short together on the NI 9871 side to make it work. Do I need to short TX+ & RX+ together and TX- & RX- together or short TX- and RX- together and wire that to the common of the device? Has anyone seen this topology before?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,266 Views)

Hi,

Devices with a RS-485 interface are specified in a lot of ways. This one is new for me.

You are right you would expect a differential line. Tx and Rx on RS-485 makes no sense. Also it cannot be the Tx and Rx I/O of a RS-485 transceiver because there is no enable signal.

Can you measure the voltage of the Tx and Rx pin ?

Kees

Message 2 of 3
(2,197 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AdamFJungkunz

Kees,

Thanks for your reply. The manufacturer replied to me with this pin mapping:

NI 9871       P855 Pressure Transducer

Pin 1: GND  - P855 Pin 3

Pin 2: CTS+

Pin 3: RTS+

Pin 4: RXD+ - P855 Pin 5

Pin 5: RXD- - P855 Pin 6

Pin 6: CTS-

Pin 7: RTS-

Pin 8: TXD+ - P855 Pin 5

Pin 9: TXD- - P855 Pin 6

This matches the KB I listed above as the typical 2-wire RS-485 topology with the device's Pin 5 serving as the Data (A) + line and the device's Pin 6 serving as the Data (B) - line. That makes a lot more sense.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,177 Views)