Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Serial read error

Solved!
Go to solution

Yes I press the Query button. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,032 Views)

What does the documentation say about the cable you need to connect to a PC?  Did it come specifically with this instrument for that purpose or did you find one or buy one? 

You might not have the right cable.  There are 2 types; straight thru and null modem.  (There are also variations that omit some of the pins that aren't needed for all use cases.)  Have a look here - https://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com_Basics/RS232_standard.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8dDb76rH3QIViUoNC...

Compare with the documentation you have for the instrument. I've been fooled a few time when I've picked the wrong cable out of a pile.  If you don't know what type it is take a multimeter and test pin-pin.

Message 12 of 17
(1,025 Views)

I have looked in to it, the documentation does not say much about the cable:

The interconnection requires a standard
RS-232 cable with 9-pin connectors and a straight “1:1” pinout without any crossed wires,
which is not supplied with the oven.

The cable that was given to me and which I am using is a RS-232 to USB (https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/USB-to-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Cable~ICUS...). Is the documentation saying that I need to have a RS-232 TO RS-232, by saying "1:1 pinout, no crossed wires"? Such as DB9 All-Line Direct Extension as can be seen from the webside you send ?

The pdf for the manual(Page 5-11): 

https://www.hogentogler.com/images/Heratherm_OGH_OMH_60-750_User%20Manual.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,013 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wasa1

Ok, the USB-RS232 cable you have matches your oven's specs.

So which COM port is the USB-RS232 using?  Hopefully you've installed the driver for the USB-RS232, or Windows installed it automatically when you plugged it in and assigned it a virtual COM port which is usually something like COM5.  Yes, the oven documentation says COM1, but that the physical RS232 port on the computer not the virtual one that the USB-RS232 sets up.

I've had trouble with some of these USB-RS232 adaptors and various instruments.  I think that some don't supply enough voltage, especially if you need to extend the cable for several meters.  Do you have another USB-RS232 adaptor from a different vendor you could try?

Craig

Message 14 of 17
(1,009 Views)

I´m using COM 3 mainly but I have testet both my USB ports (only have 2). It should be installed, it was just "plug and play" unless it is some other drive I don´t know about. 
I can try to find another cable and also test without the extend usb cord that I´m using now.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,003 Views)

OK so I got it to work now, apparently there was another driver I had to install, I´m sorry for taking your time when the solution was my error.  But without knowing that I needed to replace <CR> with \r I still would not get it to work, so thanks for that.

Thank you all so much!

/Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(991 Views)

Hello,

I have the exact same problem with the same oven. Could you please share which driver you were missing?

Also, how do I make sure that the USB-RS232 driver adapter is correct? It would be great if you could please help me out.

Regards,

Sanhita

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(839 Views)