From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trubble initiating USB 2000 Ocean optics spectrometer

Dear Labview users and NI staff,

I have downloaded the drives for Ocean Optics spectrometer lines (in my case I have a USB 2000 device) which I would like to use with LabVIEW 8.5, VISA 5.0 and Windows XP. I installed the driver and can now find the device in the VISA driver resource selector. However initiating the device stops and I can not find out what is not working properly. In the attachment please find a screen dump of the place in the code that stops.

I can not find out what more to add to make my question clear, please let me know if additional information is required, and I will try to apply it. I should also say that I am quite new to LabVIEW, so I do not have any deep knowledge of how to debug this. But to me it look a bit strange to send a string 0x1,0. This is not a regular text string (0x1 is SOH, start of heading in the ascii table), but I have no idea what to replace it with.

Best regards,

Robert Rehammar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 58
(8,380 Views)

Hello Robert,

In order to properly troubleshoot the problem you are having with the driver, I will require some extra information. First, I need to confirm that you are using the Ocean Optics USB 2000 spectrometer  and not the USB 2000+. Second it appears that you are using an old revision of the Ocean Optics 2000 4000 Driver, you could try installing the most recent revision (released last Friday) of the Ocean Optics 2000 4000 driver to rectify your problem. If the problem still persists, I would recommend performing an NI Spy capture for troubleshooting/debugging the VI: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/282C5D41E2BA04F2862574BA007803B9?OpenDocument

Best Regards,

Ayo Olubeko| Instrument Drivers/IVI Group | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 58
(8,349 Views)

Hi Ayo,

Thank you for your reply. It is indeed USB 2000, not the +-version. I tried to download the new driver, but I get an error when loading it, saying that the VI is a newer version (9.0) than my LabVIEW version (8.5). This is surprising since it says on the download page that it requires version 8.2 (I did not mistakenly take the 2009 version).

Further I see that there is now only one ini-file, while it before was one for each spectrometer version, is this correct, I can just replace with the sts-version?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 58
(8,338 Views)

Update: I have now installed LV 2010 so that I could read the VIs. I also installed the only inf-file included (not the vista one). I still have problems, but probably now on a new place. Please see attached file for a NI spy log of the evolution. In MAX the device is reported as working, and also in Windows device manager. Tanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 58
(8,334 Views)

Hi Robert,

There was an issue when posting the driver.  The correct version of the driver has been posted on IDNet and below.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 58
(8,331 Views)

Update II: Now I found out that I installed the wrong driver. From the USB xxxx et al. page (linked by me above), if one clicks the 8.2-version of the driver, one gets the driver for the sts spectrometer, also from Ocean optics. After discovering this and instead installing the 2009 version I have a new error stack. Please see attachment for a new NI Spy log. Also please see the screen dump for the place where execution seem to stop.

Best, Robert

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 58
(8,330 Views)

Hello Robert,

It seems that you are getting a time-out error when you try to read the spectral data from your spectrometer. Are you running the "Acquire Continuous Waveform" Vi with the default values? Also, it appears that the NI Spy Capture is incomplete. Before exiting the VI when the error occurs, could you click the Stop Button to make sure the code has finished executing. This ensures a thorough Spy capture and could further help debugging the issue.

Best Regards,

Ayo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 58
(8,319 Views)
Hi again Ayo, Indeed it looks as a time out error. Yes i run the aquire cont. waveform vi and i have not changed the settings. Is there an issue with the integration time? I have not manage to find out how to set/read this. I will make a check om the spy tomorrow when i get back to the lab, but i don't think that anything else was sent. Also i should say that there is no error with the spectrometer. It worked perfect from the Ocean optics propretary software before installing the NI drivers. Best, Robert Rehammar
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 58
(8,316 Views)

Hi again,

Here is a spy capture running all the time untill the stop-button is pressed.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 58
(8,306 Views)

Hi again,

To me it looks like there is some problem with the command following 0x82 (assign endpoint) sent in the beginning of the procedure to handle the specific data from the usb2000. Is the command, 64, that is sent wrong?

I'm not sure if it is a problem or not, but also the masking of the msb seem to take vary long time. Further I would like to ask you if you have the possibility to distribute the data-sheet of the usb2000, than I could also use this reference when looking at the problem.

Best,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 58
(8,304 Views)