From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trek Oscilloscope 2012C trigger problem

Hi everyone,

I have probelemswith Trek Oscil. I have a Lab program to Charge/Discharge a battery. For Discharge part, I use a 2012C to catch the discharging curve of the battery. Most time I get the correct discharging curve. But sometime it seems the Oscilloscope didn't get triggered and sometimes the Oscil got triggered a little late and I could not get correct curve.   But for the same running program and hardware, the oscilloscope is supposed get the same triggered curve at the same time.   I have two questions to ask. First why could I not get the same time trigger for the same condition? Second how could I get the correct triggered curve? 

Could anyboday help me out? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,635 Views)

Triggering a scope can potentially be tricky.  What settings are you using?  What voltages are you using with the capacitor?  How quickly are you charging/discharging?  How noisy is the signal?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,631 Views)

The Charging voltage is pretty high (up to 1000V). The dischargeing time is around from 25ns-10ms.  The noisy is low and doesn't affect the result. Most time I can get correct curve. But sometimes I saw the trggered curve on the Oscil but the curve was not fetched by labview program. Do you think the problem related with system grounding ? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,618 Views)

@Helenz wrote:

But sometimes I saw the trggered curve on the Oscil but the curve was not fetched by labview program.

Wait, the scope has the right waveform but when you try to read the waveform using LabVIEW it is the wrong waveform?  That sounds like a timing issue.  I often find that the Tektronix scopes need time to put stuff in buffers before you can read it properly over GPIB or Ethernet.  Add in something like 500ms to 1 second wait to make sure the oscilloscope has the waveform captured before you try to read it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,602 Views)

The unnormal triggered waveform on Oscil is sometimes " later" than the regular one.  The oscil has been set up the time base is 1ms, time position 3ms.  Some waveform has out of the frame.  How can I read those correctly?  Also like I said before, the Osil is not triggered at all sometimes.   Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,597 Views)