Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is a way to use Agilent 34401a with RS232 in Labwindows?

I need to use Agilent 34401a with RS232 in Labwindows/CVI. I try to serach a solution in the forum, and I saw that exist a way to use the 34401 with Labview, but no solution to use with Labwindows. There is a way to setu the GPIB driver to use with Labwindows or another driver to use?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,873 Views)
Hi Gilson,

Your best option is to request that driver on the Instrument Driver Network.

Best of luck with this project!
Matt S.

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,850 Views)
I found the 34401A IVI driver, however its README text just claims GPIB operation, no mention for Serial.
Because the driver uses VISA for instrument I/O and the SCPI command is same for GPIB/Serial, it may work with Serial too.

If the above driver does not work with Serial, the 2nd try is use Agilent34401 IVI-COM driver, which can be downloaded Agilent site.  Its README officially claims GPIB and Serial compatibility.  It may be bit hard to use the IVI-COM driver directly from CVI, but relatively easy to use it through the IVI-C IviDmm class driver because it is the same as typical IVI-C or CVI driver format.  (However, interchangeable approach is needed.)  This also requires to install IVI Class COM Adapter DLLs, which is found at the following thread:

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,841 Views)
The other option is to just modify the existing driver for RS-232 or setup the serial port prior to using any calls in the driver. The only difference in the LabVIEW driver between GPIB and RS-232 that when the VISA resource name is a serial device, the com port baud rate, parity, etc, is set and then the VISA properties ASRL End In and ASRL End Out are set to termchar so that a termination character is automatically appended to each command. There is also a VISA Set I/O Buffer Size function with a a mask value of x30 and a size of 4096.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,830 Views)
Yup,

Dennis is correct. There are a few steps you'll have to add to get the GPIB drivers working for RS-232, but it can certainly work.

Regards,
Matt S.

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,818 Views)

how can i create an interface between Agilent 34401A  with GPIB in labwindows/CVI that can communicate with my DMM and i can send commands that can read them pllllzzz help me

note i get the GPIB connected via NI MAX

nimax.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,731 Views)
Download the IVI-C driver that is linked above. This is s very old thread but the link is still valid.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,720 Views)

i already download it but i can't seem to know the step to creat an interface to communnicate with Agilent 34401A plz some one know the step that i need to do in order to create this interface so i can write and read DC voltage ......???????

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,717 Views)
That's really a basic CVI question, which I don't have at the moment. You should be able to load the fp if you installed the driver correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,712 Views)

the driver has been installed correctlly  and the fp file correspond to DMM  Agilent 34401A is been showen and i don't know the next stap wich will be what???fp.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,706 Views)