From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to interface 25 pin and 15 pin connectors to labview

I have one 25-pin type D RS-232 port and three 15-pin type D connectors that I want to interface to labview. (Total of 4 devices).

Can I use the PCI model 8430 board to read these devices? I think this board takes 9-pin inputs, and since my devices are 25 and 15 pin, I was wondering if an adapter can be used to plug them all in, or if I'll need to get a different interface solution?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,776 Views)

@Dr.Daryl wrote:

I have one 25-pin type D RS-232 port and three 15-pin type D connectors that I want to interface to labview. (Total of 4 devices).

Can I use the PCI model 8430 board to read these devices? I think this board takes 9-pin inputs, and since my devices are 25 and 15 pin, I was wondering if an adapter can be used to plug them all in, or if I'll need to get a different interface solution?

Thanks in advance

Yes you can talk to any RS-232 instrument.  RS-232 is frequently found in RJ-45, 9pin D, 15 pin D, 25 pin D and 26 pin D connectors but they all have the same signals!  Just build or buy a cable that connects the right pins on either end.  Here is a good referance for STANDARD pin-outs.  (Since the RS in RS-232 means Recomended Standard- allways look at the device manuals)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 3
(3,765 Views)

Hi Jeff

Oh We always said  Regularly Soldering pin 2-> 3->2

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 3 of 3
(3,757 Views)