From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with RS 232 communication

Hello,

I am trying to write a program that will get resistance, impedance, and phase angle from a Fluke meter. This is part of updating a system which does this already. I am having trouble communicating over serial with the device though. To verify what the old system was doing I attached a new computer with a serial adapter to the old computer and read the commands sent using termite. I can see the commands coming through just fine although there are two commands "[1B]2" that I do not understand. Below is a screenshot of the captured data coming from the computer. 

When I try to send these commands to the Fluke I get no response. Any help would be appreciated.

Fluke Capture1.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,496 Views)

It would be nice to know the model number of the piece of equipment.  What does your NI-Max display for hardware and software?  Additionally, how is your RS-232 Cable setup? (Pins, length, type of cable,...)  How did you setup the port to communicate with the instrument? (Baudrate,...)  Just to inform you, many of the older pieces of test equipment do not work with the standard SCPI protocol.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,479 Views)
It will be difficult for us to help you without knowing the communication protocol.
A termination character could be expected.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,457 Views)