Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADAM 4011 echoing the instructions sent

Solved!
Go to solution

The problem is:

I send instructions to an ADAM 4011 (or 4011-D) via the VISA test Panel (in MAX) , when i read I am supposed to read a voltage but instead it sends me the exact string of ascii characters I sent

My setup is:

Windows 10

LabVIEW 15

Two wire coming from the ADAM 4011 going into an NI USB-485 that is plugged into the computer

Useful information:

It works on another computer that has Windows XP, Labview 8 with the same wire and the same instructions, simply different software version

The two wires going from the adam4011 to the NI USB-485 are wired twice on the connector, I have included a photo of the connector if it doesn't make sense (the welds are not touching i have checked)

What i tried:

I tried a bunch of differents config on the VISA test panel like changing the baud rate the data bits the stop bits the parity the transmit and receive buffer, flow controls, termination methods
Either it doesn't read anything or it read the exact instruction i sent no matter the instruction, even if it is not a valid instruction like "hello".
I tried installing Adam Apax Utility but it doesn't detect a particular adam module and when i tried to write dirrectly to the serial port it outpouted "Adam_Invalid_Head" something about "Adam protocol response header is invalid

I have become fixated on the fact that it is working on the older Windows XP machine with LabVIEW 8 but not on the new one, i am thinking that maybe a default parameter on the old one has changed on the new one and that i didn't see it but i doubt it
I should add that visa is working properly for the other device plugged into the computer directly by serial port.

Nothing else than the computer and the version of labview has changed so it is probably coming from it, it could also be a driver issue but I looked on the old one and didn't see any special driver.

I hope I didn't miss something in the description of my problem, I am a complete beginner with VISA, serial connector, transfer protocols and the rest I only have a developpement background

two_wires_going_to_serial_going_to_usb.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(155 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gpWago

I think I found it, it was the wire mode property that changed, and apparentely you can't change it in the visa test panel you must use a property node directly in LabVIEW, it was set by default to 0 on windows 10 and I set it to 3 which is the same as it was on the previous computer and it works.

It seems that between LabVIEW 8 and 15 NI has removed the ability to change a property directly from the VISA Test panel, I don't know if this is specific for the 15 version but that sucks and wasted a bunch of my time.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(111 Views)