Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a Raspi Headless

Solved!
Go to solution

I'd like to be able to run a Raspberry pi with a touchscreen running a LabVIEW executable (Linux OS). Is this doable?

I can currently get the front panel connected to a raspi fine using a windows laptop and hobbyist toolkit, but the windows screen acts as the front panel interaction. I'd like to switch to using Linux IDE and then deploying an exectuable for an HMI interaction and also controlling devices/recording sensors. 

I'm continuing this conversation I had on the main forum into here because I figured I might get some more specific info on the hobbyist toolkit and using Linux. 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Linux-OS-on-RasPi-running-LabVIEW-exe/m-p/4273777#M1245609 

Conclusion on this discussion was that I could get a .exe running on the raspi headless and use a Linux OS to communicate to the .exe but we would need to find some sort of communication between the two. I'd like to actually run the raspi with a touchscreen so the Raspi is running Linux frontpanel. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,846 Views)

not quite. you can run headless but not the front panel. and you cant run LabVIEW IDE on the RPi.

however, you can do something like you want by following the link: (keep in mind that probably you might use web development software instead of NXG)

https://www.mediamongrels.com/make-ing-with-labview-raspberry-pi-part-4-user-interfaces-with-labview...

edit:

and also:
https://www.vi-tech.nl/en/blogs/labview-on-a-raspberry-pi-and-a-labview-nxg-web-dashboard

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
Message 2 of 5
(1,837 Views)

You cannot use a Raspberry Pi touchscreen to controller the Front Panel of the LabVIEW VI because it is deployed without a front panel.  It is like deploying a real-time VI.

What you could do is create an interface to your LabVIEW VI with the G Web Development Software and then access that web interface from the Apache web browser running on the Raspberry Pi from the Raspberry Pi touchscreen.  This software is included in the LabVIEW Community Edition and is one of the intended ways to interact with LabVIEW code running on a Raspberry Pi.

Here is a good reference/example for using a web VI with the Raspberry Pi: https://www.mediamongrels.com/make-ing-with-labview-raspberry-pi-part-4-user-interfaces-with-labview...

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
Message 3 of 5
(1,824 Views)

I'm not sure if I'm using the term headless properly. To me headless means how I can deploy to a compactRIO or even arduino using an IDE and disconnect it from my laptop and it runs some code by itself. In this case we'd have a linux OS on the raspi. 

Are you still saying we can't have the raspi running a frontpanel ?

It looks like this was answered already above my post. Based on the 2 replies I've seen it looks like there is definitely no way to have a front panel show (as if I ran a .exe on a windows laptop or windows HMI). 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,823 Views)
Solution
Accepted by PatrickMiller

@PatrickMiller wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm using the term headless properly. To me headless means how I can deploy to a compactRIO or even arduino using an IDE and disconnect it from my laptop and it runs some code by itself. In this case we'd have a linux OS on the raspi. 

Yes, you can run the Raspberry Pi in the exact same way where it can be disconnected from your laptop.

@PatrickMiller wrote:

It looks like this was answered already above my post. Based on the 2 replies I've seen it looks like there is definitely no way to have a front panel show (as if I ran a .exe on a windows laptop or windows HMI). 

You cannot show the front panel of a VI running in a Raspberry Pi because the front panel is not deployed to the Raspberry Pi like it is on your Windows laptop.  You need to create an interface in some other way.  One way is to use the G Web Development Software.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
Message 5 of 5
(1,802 Views)