From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPi 3 (WiFi) with I2C Potentiometer need a wireless Temperature Sensor

Hej!

I have just setup an Rpi3 with and I2C DigiPot. The purpose is to control the heat system of my house (I bypassed the original pot that I always has to adjust to get a decent temperature when the outside temperature varies).

It's no hooked in, and I can easliy control the value via an LV-interface on my computer.

What I need now is an Temperature Sensor to create an automated adjustment = hopefully perfect temperature without having to adjust the pot manually 🙂

The main problem is that I need the temp sensor to be located far from the RPi...otherwise I could've just added an I2C Temp Sensor.

Question: Can anyone recommend a (I guess WiFi) Temperature Sensor that can be reporting to my LV-interface, or directly to the RPi?

Edit: In the future I hope to be able to have a web interface were I can change the desired setpoit (temperature) and do any other adjustments to the reg loop.

Best Regards, Viktor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,194 Views)

Hey Viktor, nice application!

i do have some sugestions that i tested myself and are working headless.

1) created an MQTT broker (this can be done with or without LabVIEW, i did without LV, by using nodered inside raspberrypi) an ESP32 with a DS18b20 connected, publishing on the broker and a LV application subscribing to the topic reading data.

2) an LinkitONE (without LINX) sending data though TCP dirrectly to port (5001 i guess) and listening on the same port using raspberry to get the data from TCP. In this case i used the BMP180 in i2c, and collected both temperature and atm pressure.

Possibly cheap application with Wifi capabilities.

i recommend the 1st because you can increase your application with differente sensors and topics.

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,170 Views)

Thanks Jorge!

Option 1 looks really good and I'll look into it asap 🙂

Best Regards, Viktor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,119 Views)