From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing access to raspberry pi after deployment

I'm using LV2022 Q3 with the hobbyists toolkit and a raspberry pi 4b. In this case I'm using the prebuilt image with LabVIEW on it, but I saw the same behaviour with the standard pi OS (as recommended by the raspberry pi imager tool)

I can get things basically up and running, I can get code running on the pi and things are generally ok to start with, but I keep running into the same issue. Once I have deployed an rt application to the pi as a startup app, I can't undeploy it... and I cant reconnect to the pi with it deployed, even though that start-up application still runs fine on start-up.

Once it's in that state, attempting to connect to the pi might tell me that there's a startup vi running and ask if i want to abort, if I say yes to that, it fails, and I cant connect any more. In my latest try I made sure my startup VI had a finite lifetime, if i wait for that to finish I still cant connect. This seems to happen with very simple startup VIs (I'm only just getting started with this) and the only way I have to resolve it is to re-image the pi!!

On the current attempt to fix this, I have just rebooted the pi, then waited for my startup application to be finished (It's a simple wait timer in a while loop!) and then tried to connect by right-clicking the target in my project and clicking connect. I get the deployment progress box which ends as per the attached image with "Deploying raspberrypi (Failed to deploy target settings)"

psmorris_0-1675943489314.png

I can still ping the pi from the command line and I can still ssh into it from putty so I'm not sure what's preventing LabVIEW from reconnecting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? 

do I need to do some specific cleanup at the end of a startup VI? The build does include a simple web service (from the g-web development call labview webservice example)... is that causing a problem? (The example works fine on boot of the pi...)

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,101 Views)

I have exactly the same issue as described in the original post. Using LV 2023 Q3 and RPi 4. Once my application runs as a startup app, I cannot connect anymore: LV throws the dialog as shown in the attached image. Clicking OK does not do anything to help with connecting to it.

Raspi Reconnect Problem.png

The only workaround that I found is a kludge:

1. Connect to the target via VNC.
  2. From the command line run sudo pcmanfm - this will start the file explorer with elevated privileges.
  3. Browse to /home/lvuser/natinst/bin.
  4. Rename startup.rtexe into something else.
  5. Reboot RPi.

After that, I can connect to RPi with LV. Following that, I can do clean up, using the above procedure and deleting the renamed startup executable.

Dies anyone have any better solution to this problem? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(499 Views)

This problem is still present in LV 2024 Q1 and the corresponding Hobbyist Toolkit. Also rebooting from LV prompt (after deployment) does not seem to work - you have to do it from VNC or by power cycling.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(456 Views)