cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LINX Raspberry PI 4 Target - Initial Setup Issues

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, 

My objective is to use LabVIEW 2021, the LINX toolkit, and a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B to communicate to device over UART connections. 

I have installed the LINX toolkit and have been able to connect to the Raspberry Pi 4. I can create, deploy, and execute LabVIEW VIs on the target. 

Problem that I have is that I cannot make the demo code work properly. I have not been able to control the LED from the demo VI. In the screen shot below, the error message makes reference to a raspberry pi 2 model B. It seems to me that I have the wrong target configured in the project. 

Lonald_1-1651761688046.png

Currently I am getting the following options when I attempt to add a target.

Lonald_2-1651762505293.png

My questions:

Does the toolkit support a raspberry pi 4? (based on other posts I have read, it seems the answer is yes)

How do I properly configure a raspberry pi 4 model b to be a target in my project?

Will I be able to use the UART Channels on the raspberry pi 4?

(Hate asking this one) Am I better off using Python to perform this task?  

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,299 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lonald

I can confirm that the Raspberry Pi 2 B is the correct device to use.  LINX was never updated to display later versions of the Raspberry Pi but this is not an issue.

I have not ran the Blink example myself as I had no need so I cannot confirm what setup is correct but looking at other posts you can see that this example works:

My only thought tis that DO Channel 6 does not work for this purpose for some reason.  I know that some IO are taken over by LINX and this may be one of them.  Did you try pin 7, which is DO Channel 4 I believe?  Do any of the DO Channels work without an error?

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,241 Views)

David, 

Thank you for your response. I tested all output channels and found that many channels report the following error message: The specified Digital Output channel (x) is not available on the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.:

I initially tested channels 7, 6, and 24  and based on the error messages, I assumed there was a hardware / driver compatibility issue. (Note: channel 7 did not error but appeared to not function. I was connected to pin 26 (GPIO7))

Now I understand that "DO Channel" refers to the header pin number (not the pin label). I was assuming that channel 21 was "GPIO21" which resides on pin 40. 

To be clear: when I set channel 40 high, header pin 40 goes high. 

This is my first attempt to use the Raspberry Pi to control digital signals. Thank you for helping me through this issue. 

-Lonnie

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,230 Views)

I read in the message chain that you were able to install the LINX toolkit and have been able to connect to the Raspberry Pi 4m as well as to create, deploy, and execute LabVIEW VIs on the target. 

I hoping you can help me out as this is the very issue I'm having.

Currently I'm able to connect to the RsP4B using the LabVIEW Hobbist Target Configuration but when I attempt to use the Installation tab by clicking upgrade it does not seem to install the labVIEW engine but instead just reboots the target. 

The following is what is shown in the Linx_log

Connecting to target...
Successfully connected to target.
Successfully connected to the target.
Target configuration updated.
OS Version: 11.6
CPU: BCM2835
Systemd Version:
Has Internet Access: True
Device Type: Raspberry Pi 2 B

blacklist spi-bcm2708is not present.dtparam=spi=on already exists.i2c-dev already exists.i2c-bcm2708 already exists.blacklist i2c-bcm2708is not present.dtparam=i2c1=on already exists.dtparam=i2c_arm=on already exists.
Adding MakerHub feed...
MakerHub Feed Already Exists
Updating package index. This may take over 30 seconds depending on your internet speed...

Installing LabVIEW...

Rebooting Target...
Unable to connect to the target. Please make sure the specified Hostname/IP, Username and Password are correct and try again. If this problem persists please search then create a thread on the Makerhub forums at labviewmakerhub.com/forums/linx.
Successfully connected to target.
Checking target status...

Installation completed successfully. Click Launch Example to get started.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(914 Views)