Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Linx able to run on LabVIEW Community  for Linux OS?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm a noobie so be kind if I'm asking a silly question (FWIIW I have googled a around before asking).

I'm looking to connect LabVIEW to an Arduino board.

I would prefer to use Linux over Windows if it will work.

Can I use Linx on a LabVIEW Community  for Linux OS system? Or does it only work on Windows (and Mac OS)?

Thank you,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,399 Views)
Solution
Accepted by brian.co2

No, the Community Edition for Linux and Mac do not contain Linx as per latest info I have from NI, because the Linx package is not ported to these platforms. Since it contains binary compiled shared libraries that access the OS API, it is not a simple recompile of the source code but requires real modifications. Also I suppose that the project plugins for the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black will also need some care to make them work properly on these platforms. They still have some difficulties on Windows too.

And no do not try to install the Linx Toolkit into the Community Edition at this time. LabVIEW Community Edition for Windows comes with the Toolkit already installed and trying to install it over this again has for many users resulted in a completely non working setup because of version and installation conflicts. There is no newer Linx Toolkit available than what the Community Edition already comes with. And many of the Linx Toolkit versions out there are older and will simply corrupt your setup when installed over the Linx Toolkit that comes with the Community Edition.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 6
(2,361 Views)

Thank you for the helpful and kind reply!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,347 Views)

Hmm will an uninstall of LINX 3.0 from 2020 Community suffice, or must I reinstall Community edition to restore LINX function for Pi3b?

I was trying to port the LINX support for myRIO-1900 to Community edition 2020, so I am still stuck with the myRIO 2019 version for this? Was hoping to use the myRIO as a wireless LINX DAQ.

Tx, Mark

@rolfk wrote:

No, the Community Edition for Linux and Mac do not contain Linx as per latest info I have from NI, because the Linx package is not ported to these platforms. Since it contains binary compiled shared libraries that access the OS API, it is not a simple recompile of the source code but requires real modifications. Also I suppose that the project plugins for the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black will also need some care to make them work properly on these platforms. They still have some difficulties on Windows too.

And no do not try to install the Linx Toolkit into the Community Edition at this time. LabVIEW Community Edition for Windows comes with the Toolkit already installed and trying to install it over this again has for many users resulted in a completely non working setup because of version and installation conflicts. There is no newer Linx Toolkit available than what the Community Edition already comes with. And many of the Linx Toolkit versions out there are older and will simply corrupt your setup when installed over the Linx Toolkit that comes with the Community Edition.

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,185 Views)

My understanding is that an uninstall will not fix your issue as it does not re-install the original version.  You may be able to do a repair after the uninstall but you have to just try it and see.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,178 Views)

Another option, although now unsupported, is using LIFA. 

See here ....   https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Interface-for-Arduino/ct-p/7008?profile.language=en

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,138 Views)