Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dose LINX support the Raspberry PI Zero 2 W?

The Raspberry PI Zero 2WThe Raspberry PI Zero 2W

The Raspberry PI Zero 2W was released on October 28, 2021. It uses the BCM2710A1 of the Raspberry PI 3 as the SoC. Can the LINX toolkit support it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,389 Views)

Hi, 

Yes,  it's looking good 🙂  I've been able to load the LINX runtime on the PI Zero 2 W and deploy a few test VI's ! 

The sense hat example from the MediaMongrels RPi-LINX-Addons toolkit runs OK!

Cheers,

Andy.

Message 2 of 12
(3,359 Views)

There likely will be some problems with the GPIO configuration. Linx is currently rather hardwired to expect the Raspberry Pi 2B GPIO layout, which for most things works for Raspberry Pi 3 and 4 too, but the Pi Zero 2W might have a different GPIO configuration. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,348 Views)

Good comment Rolf,

I tested a few channels using the blink advanced and digital read N channels examples.

I've not tried all the channels yet, but it looks to be the same mapping as the PI 3B+.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,341 Views)

The SPI Loopback Benchmark example is running OK. 

AndyLB_0-1635780594823.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,327 Views)

I have been able to run the modified LINX - Blink (Advanced).vi per the tutorial here using a PI Zero 2 W.

From LabVIEW's perspective, everything seems to run OK, but the pin 7 GPIO does not toggle, it remains high.

Any suggestions on how I can check the pin mappings are OK ?  or suggestions to assist debugging ?

I could also try some of the other example programs as mentioned you did. 

Peter
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,947 Views)

I found the problem, GPIO pin 7 is not 7 on this PI's pinout, it is GPIO 4 on the board.

I successfully ran the example and the one to read all digital input channels.

I will learn how to configure the pin mappings.

Peter
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,910 Views)

Hi Peter,

The LINX channel number is the connector pin number. LINX channel 7 is GPIO 4 on the Raspberry Pi.

There is a help page for the pinouts in LabVIEW: Help->Hobbyist->Pinout - Raspberry Pi 2B

(Help->Makerhub->LINX->Pinout - Raspberry Pi 2B in LabVIEW 2020 and earlier)

This displays the web page

https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=learn:libraries:linx:device:raspberry-pi-2-b

Another good website for Raspberry Pi information is https://pinout.xyz/

You can view the state of the GPIO pins using the shell command

raspi-gpio get

Cheers,
Andy.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,873 Views)

Andy,

awesome and thank you !

I am very pleased to have progressed this far so quickly.  The most time consuming part so far was setting up the RPi Zero 2 W over WiFi over a corporate network as it needed SSH and additional parameters populated into the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

My goal is to have this to a state where I can quickly reuse whatever is in place for multiple projects, permmitting faster dev time.  So I am invested in this for the long term.   I am running LabVIEW 2021 with the Hobbyist Tookit at my work.   Are you aware of any gotchas I might face in using the RPi Zero 2 W  when the Target Configuration tool thinks it is an earlier version RPi ? (Device Type: Raspberry Pi 2 B)

As an aside one of my work colleagues posted the idea to run LabVIEW on the RPi 11 years ago on the Ideas Exchange. It received 909 up votes !!   It finally became a reality a few years ago.    https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/LabVIEW-for-Raspberry-Pi/idi-p/2082026

Peter
Message 9 of 12
(1,832 Views)

Mazing indeed. Ive just discovered tosay i can use Labview with Arduino or RP.

Do you know if i can use it with RB Pico? Do i need the LINX todo that?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,384 Views)