Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development and/or Support Roadmap for LabVIEW LINX?

Could I/we get a clarification of the development and/or support road-map for LabVIEW LINX?  What is the plan for LINX for year 2020, 2021, 2022, etc? Is there plan on supporting and offering it for download for the foreseeable future or is there a plan to stop offering it for download and no longer guaranteeing compatibility with Labview as time goes on?

I ask as a concerned LabVIEW developer. I want to develop involving motion control etc for some reliability testing of product, however these projects are going to last for the next 2 to 5 years, so I would hate to invest in a tool that will be deprecated and nothing new will come of it, or worse if support for the product goes away.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Regards,

Benoit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,525 Views)

While nobody, not even NI, can make you promises about future support of Linx years from now, NI has stated that the Community Edition and Linx support has been added to the normal build support cycle of new LabVIEW versions and that release of that is not anymore a seperate effort but goes mostly as part of the normal release process of a new LabVIEW version. This should make it pretty easy to provide this with future new LabVIEW versions as long as NI perceives that the Community Edition and Linx addon are still being used in real, to justify the extra effort of creating these installers and providing some server space for them, as well as adding the necessary license entries to their license servers. This effort is relatively small but of course not totally ignorable, so if the LabVIEW Community Edition won't get the additional LabVIEW use NI was hoping for, it may eventually be discontinued.

That doesn't mean that Linx in itself would have to die as it could for a large part be maintained by a community led effort. There are some small closed source components to the Linx project providers, but NI is working on getting those resolved in some way, so that the entire Linx toolkit in itself will be completely open source.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 3
(1,494 Views)

Cool, thank you for that detailed response.  It appears you aware of the latest news for LINX then?  

I am a long time LabVIEW user, and I have a lot of time on my hands.  I was hoping to donate some time to the community LINX development and/or support effort if at all possible.  Would you know how I could become more involved?

Regards,

Benoit

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,478 Views)