Our online shopping is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

FlexLogger

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexLogger API : consider LV !

Thanks for the additional info!

I looked into the gRPC stuff a bit.  I feel like implementing a client into LabVIEW is a bit further out of my scope then I'd prefer right now. 

I looked at pulling in directly the .NET client, but unfortunately that's compiled for .NET 5.0, which it turns out isn't supported in LabVIEW (apparently...).

So, for the moment, I'll focus on working through the Python interface or eagerly awaiting the client from the NI project.

Thanks for the leads!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,115 Views)

I'm looking through the library, and it both uses a network API (gRPC) as well as local/system libaries (win32, etc). Essentially constraining the user to automate only on the localmachine versus an instance of FlexLogger on the network.

Are there plans to expand the protobuf definition and implementation so that FlexLogger (or an NI service) encapsulates more of the win32 responsibilities the current python library handles? Then we can truly leverage remote automation?

I'm curious why gRPC was used rather than a DLL (or similar) when there's so much dependence on the local system libraries for a local FlexLogger installation.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(847 Views)

Hi @pbarrett --

We have actually developed a LabVIEW based gRPC interface FlexLogger.  I don't think there's anything in there preventing it from running on a remote computer (though I'm not sure we've directly tested that).

Additionally we actually have a REST server built on top of this as well with much of the "control" aspect exposed that way.

Would be happy to provide additional info if you're interested!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(839 Views)

I am interested, though I'm not using LabVIEW. I take it you're using the protobuf definition linked above and creating an application on top of that which contains a REST API?

That's probably the way to do it since the python API developed has so many helper functions that will only work if the library is ran on the machine FlexLogger is installed to.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(832 Views)

Took your idea and implemented that in python with FastAPI. Can now control FlexLogger over the network as long as the service is running on the machine with FlexLogger installed. Thanks for the idea!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(766 Views)