FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

starting a VI on FP2010 without host computer

I want to start an Vi on my FP2010 after switching on the poweresupply without any connection to a computer. SO my VI should start running just by switching on the the powersupply
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,929 Views)
To run your embedded .vi at startup you need to compile (build) the application into a startup.exe file. This file goes into c:\NI-RT\STARTUP\ on the FP unit.

To build (7.0): target your FP unit when you startup Labview, then open your top level .vi. Select Tools->Build Application. Make sure 'Set target to launch Application at Boot-Up' is checked under the Application Settings tab. Hit build.

When it is done, you should be able to reboot the FP module and have it come up running your code.

Matt
Message 2 of 13
(5,927 Views)
hello bingocom
To run the vi at startup in LV7 you have to:
close your vi, Switch Execution target to your fp-2010 (on the first screen, or undet the Operate menu).Choose Build Application or Shared library In the Tools menu ,Insert the Source Files (your vi), and mark the option "Set target to launch Application at Boot-up" at the Application Settings Tab. Press the Build button and follow the instructions.
See also p. 3-8 at the Real-Time Module User Manual.
success !
Shimon

(5,926 Views)
hello bingocom
To run the vi at startup in LV7 you have to:
close your vi, Switch Execution target to your fp-2010 (on the first screen, or undet the Operate menu).Choose Build Application or Shared library In the Tools menu ,Insert the Source Files (your vi), and mark the option "Set target to launch Application at Boot-up" at the Application Settings Tab. Press the Build button and follow the instructions.
See also p. 3-8 at the Real-Time Module User Manual.
success !
Shimon

(5,926 Views)
Here's a follow up question: If I am running a startup.exe file, and use the "Disable VI" DIP switch to prevent it from running, when I reset the DIP switch it won't run again until I rebuild and redownload the application. Is there a way to "reenable" the existing startup.exe?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,927 Views)
James,

You can reenable startup in LabVIEW without re-building the application. While LabVIEW is targeted at the remote host, select RT Target Options from the Tools Menu. Select Miscellaneous from the drop down box. Check the box that that says Launch Application at Start-up.

The next time you reboot the FieldPoint controller, it will launch the application.

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,926 Views)
Aaron,

Thanks. That worked OK, but is there anyway to access these settings from a computer that doesn't have Labview? I'm planning to deploy this at a remote site that will have a PC, but no development system. Ideally I could send a file through FTP or something like that.

Thanks,

James
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,926 Views)
James,

The startup file is located in the ni-rt.ini file on the FieldPoint controller. I believe the key is
RTTarget.LaunchAppAtBoot=True.

What you could do is FTP the file off the controller, change the above setting key to true and download the file back to the controller. Be careful though, if you modify other keys you can change the behavior of your controller.

Regards,
Aaron

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,926 Views)
That got me on the right track. For some reason I had to do both the nt-rt.ini file, and another file called nvdata.bin in the system directory. But it worked! Thanks.

James
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,927 Views)
James,

A possible beter solution (instead of modifying the ni-rt.ini file) would be to just read one of the user dip switches (1-4) in your application. If the dip switch is on then let your program run, if it is off then don't run the application.

Ames
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,927 Views)