FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Get Volume Info" crashes cFP-2100 in LabVIEW RT 8.6

Running the "Get Volume Info" primitive found in the File I/O -> Advanced File Functions palette on a cFP-2100 causes it to crash, with the status LED blinking four times indicating an unrecoverable error.

I posted this in the LabVIEW forum a week back, haven't seen a reply, and realized the hardware forum might be more appropriate.  I'm just looking for confirmation that this is a bug and not my error.  Also, I'd be interested in alternate approaches to finding out how much space is available on a Fieldpoint drive, so that my code can determine when it needs to delete old data files.

Message Edited by nathand on 09-04-2008 01:37 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,722 Views)

Hi nathand,

I have sucessfully run the "Get Volume Info.vi" on a cFP-2120 controller.  This is what I did:

1) Download "size 603.vi".  (Checking Available Storage Space on a LabVIEW Real-Time Controller)
2) Create a new project and add your cFP controller.

3) Place the "size 603.vi" under My Computer in the project window and run the VI.  (It gives info about your PC.)

4) Place the "size 603.vi" under your cFP controlller in the project window and run the VI.  (It gives info about my controller.)

5) Create network-shared variables, and connect them to the data output values on the Block Diagram of the "size 603.vi".  (I placed all of the code in a loop in order to run it continuously, and I monitored the loop iteration number with a variable to ensure that the code was running successfully.)

6) Create a startup executable from the "size 603.vi".

7) Deploy the network-published variables.

😎 Monitor the values of variables from the Distributed System Manager when you reboot your controller with the startup executable on it.  (Tools » Distributed System Manager)  You should see the variable values update.

Can you do all of this?  (Note: I had to install the "FieldPoint 6.0.2" driver to my controller since the minimal installation doesn't have the shared variable engine in it.)

I hope this helps,

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,701 Views)
Hi Kevin - thanks for your reply.  I don't have physical access to the Fieldpoint unit and it's running code I can't interrupt right now, so I can't test your VI, unfortunately.  However, attached is the really-simple VI that crashed my Fieldpoint controller.  I was using only the minimal install of Fieldpoint 6.0.2 and did not test it with the full install.  It's nearly identical to the "size 603.vi" to which you linked.  The only difference I see is the conversion of I64 to DBL, maybe that's where the problem occurs?  If I do get access to the Fieldpoint unit again, I'll try the VI you suggested.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,679 Views)

Hi Nathan,

Your attachment is missing.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,670 Views)
Oops!  With the attachment this time.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,668 Views)

Hi nathand,

I have run your VI and noted the same results - my cFP controller disconnects from my project and blinks its status light 4 times.  I have submitted this issue to National Instruments R&D under the ID of CAR 125607.  You are welcome to check back at a later date to see what information has come of the issue.

For the time being, the work around is to not use the "sector size (bytes)" output from the Get Volume Info vi.  Leave this output unconnected.  Everything then works as it should.

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,645 Views)