From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help getting networked shared variables on compact fieldpoint to work

I'm still a newbie and am trying to get Networked Shared Variables to pass from a VI running on a PC to a VI running on a Compact Fieldpoint. I created a VI that sends a message via a Networked Shared Variable and a VI that receives it. I have them both in the same project. If I run them both on the PC, it works, I can send a message string from the first VI to the Networked Shared Variable and read it in the second VI. I have the second VI turn the LED "A" on and the LED "B" off if I send the string "a", and turn the LED "B" on and the LED "A" off if I send the string "b", and turn them both off if I send anything else. It works as expected if both the VIs are running on the PC. The second VI also continuously blinks the LED "C" so I can verify that it's running.

I "deployed" the second VI to the Compact Fieldpoint as follows:

In Project I dragged the VI from My Computer (under Project: name.lvproj) down and put it under the Compact Fieldpoint name.

I right clicked on Compact Fieldpoint name and verified it was set to "Connect".

I right clicked on the second VI and selected "Deploy".

I started both VIs with the "Run" arrow. At this point I know second VI is running since the LED "C" keeps blinking.

But, when I try to send an "a" or "b" nothing happens, so the VI on the Compact Fieldpoint must not be receiving the messages in the Networked Shared Variable.

I also right clicked on Compact Fieldpoint name and selected "Disconnect". The second VI continued to run since the LED "C" keeps blinking, but I still can't get messages to pass.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,949 Views)
I got this to work. I moved the library (.lvlib) containing the Networked Shared Variable to down under the Compact Fieldpoint name. Now it works.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,944 Views)
Does anyone know if this will work from within the same project or can I access the Networked Shared Variable from another project as well?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,937 Views)