From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cFP-DO-401 fuses and flyback diodes

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using a cFP-DO-401 to control 24V valve solenoids.

On page 4 of the cFP-DO-401 manual it says to fuse the outputs with 1.5A fast acting fuses, which makes sense. But, rather than put an in-line fuse on each of the 16 wires, does anyone know of a fuse block or module that will plug in between the cFP-CB-1 module and the cFP backplane?

Also, on page 8 of the manual, it shows that the cFP-DO-401 has flyback diodes in it, but then it says NI recommends using external ones. Why are external ones needed if the cFP-DO-401 already has them?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,176 Views)

Mosey,

I have never seen any kind of module that installed between the backplane and the cFP-CB-1 module.  Can't imagine why NI would ever support such a device.  I like to use DIN rail mount fuse holders for this.

NI has included internal diodes to protect the cFP-DO-401 module inputs.  A flyback diode needs to be installed as close as physically possible to the coil of a relay to provide the best protection and noise suppression.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,168 Views)

centerbolt, Thanks for the help. Where do you get the fuse holders you use?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,157 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Mosey

Mosey,

Here is link to one that is available from Digi-Key.  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=277-1569-ND  Allen Bradley also makes a line of similar parts.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,154 Views)