From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waht is the difference between cables 778621-01 and 189985-01?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,635 Views)

Take a look at page 9 of this link.  http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/323493b.pdf

It's not clear, but I am going to guess that the extra power cable is designed for the V and C terminals that would be present if you were using a CB-1 connector block?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,626 Views)
Ravensfan, you are right. It is the extra power cable.
Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,612 Views)

Seeing this question came at just the right time for me.  For my latest cFP system, I decided to use the 37 pin cable and a socket to terminal board on DIN rail

778672-01CB-37FV 37-Pin Screw Terminal Block, Vertical, DIN Rail Mount
to make my wiring terminations  (my other cFP used the CB1 blocks and I wired all my terminations into it).

I just got into really connecting everything up and testing out the cFP operation with the external devices and sensors.  I discovered I forgot to hook up voltage and common to the boards so that digital inputs and outputs would work right.  If I had seen the cable with power cord before now, I could have bought that and used it.

In then end, I realized that the terminal board only goes up to 32 (so there are 5 unused numbers)  I discovered that V is on pins 33 and 34.  Common is on pins 35 and 36 on the terminal board and in the cable.  (I still don't know what pin 37 is for.)

I had to discover this with a continuity checker on my CB1 terminal block.  I wasn't able to find on NI's documentation online any good wiring diagram of a cable or CB1 board to describe the functions of all 37 pins.  The module manuals were fine for telling what pins 1 through 32 did.  But nothing I have yet discovered showed pins 33 through 37.  I just thing there could be some better documentation either with the terminal board or in the I/O module manuals as to what pin numbers are associated with the "extra" pins.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,604 Views)

Thanks all,  My question was answered.

BTW, I believe pin 37 is used in the special case where thermocouples are used as inputs and need a cold junction compensation.

jdowell

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,583 Views)

Hi Ravens Fan,

I will enter a product suggestion to improve the documentation for the cables. Thank you for your suggestion. 

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,579 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

Page 7 of the Compact FieldPoint Operating instructions lists what pins 33-37 do. You are right in saying that pins 33/34 are V and 35/36 are common.  Pin 37 is a CJC terminal.

Let me know if you need more detailed information. 

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,576 Views)

Thank you Karunya.

For some reason I had not seen that documentation page before. 

JDowell, that was a good pickup on pin 37 being the CJC!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,564 Views)