From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM Module Current Supply (>1A)

The documentation for the cFP-PWM-520 says that there are 8 outputs which can be supplied with 5, 12, or 24 VDC and that each put out a max of 1 A per channel.  Will it work if I supply the module with 12 VDC and 8 A?

I'm worried I might burn out the module. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,873 Views)

Gizmaa:

You should be OK. Using a supply rated at 8A, you have the ability to provide the 8 PWM outputs at full load all at once. The load will determine how much current is drawn from each channel. What type of loads do you have, out of curiosity?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,866 Views)
We have a 12 VDC, 6.5 A blower.  I was planning on using multiple channels in parallel to power the blower until we could get a speed controller.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,864 Views)

Gizmaa:

I would highly advise not to parallel multiple outputs to drive loads needing more than 1A. Some of NI's devices have this capability, but I did not see any mention of this in 520 manual. Hopefully someone with knowledge or experience with the 520 can verify this.

You could probably use a power transistor or MOSFET with the appropriate protection circuitry (since a blower motor is an inductive device capable of generating back EMF) that is driven by 1 channel of the 520 to allow high current operation for your load.

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 4 of 6
(6,859 Views)

Gizmaa,

I would also not advise connecting multiple PWM channels in parallel.  If you do want to experiment with any connections right now, I strongly advise putting a fuse in series with your power supply and load as shown in Figure 3 of the Operating Instructions Manual.

Kevin S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message 5 of 6
(6,832 Views)
I managed to find a controllable voltage source until I can get a speed controller for it.  After the advice from the two of you I'd much rather be safe than sorry.  Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,830 Views)