From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable will only run with non reference thumb drive inserted - Get cFP read error if not installed

I generated an executable / installer for a customer that monitors thermal sensors via a cFP-1808. The exe works fine on my laptop (development machine). When I take the installer to either of my 2 deployment machines the VI works perfectly as long as the following 2 factors are true: My usb thumbdrive has to be present and it has to contain a specific .iak file... If the drive is inserted, but the file is not present, I still get the FP Read Error (specified tag name not found).

There is no reference whatsoever to the .iak file in question, anywhere in my code. I have gone to the destination machines, opened MAX and the correct .iak file for my program, setting it as default. I have verified that the FP Read sub VI is pointing to the correct .iak file as a default. I have built the installer and exe about 6 different times with different settings to no avail.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Chris

One should welcome adversity as an opportunity to excel.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,881 Views)

Hi Chris,

Are the .iak settings in the project the same as in MAX?  Have you tried creating a simple example to see if this error occurs with another application?  This will help limit the issue to just your application. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,850 Views)

Kyle,

What I ended up doing, and it worked, was copying the development environment to my deployment machines. I started from scratch with my project, recreated the file structure on the deployment machines and built the executables there. The problem I started with though is still a mystery.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,843 Views)

Daddy-O,

A little late to the game but I have a question.  When you opened the .iak file with MAX on the deployed machine, did you save the .iak file?  Interested to know if the behaviour you experienced is consistent with this knowledgebase  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/22C30A6CBE1E943A862571D9006A62B5 , or if this is  a new wrinkle.

As a matter of practice, I now develop and deploy using the exactly the same file paths when a .iak file is involved with a host program.  Saves a lot of headaches

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,830 Views)

This must be a new wrinkle. I did everything recommended in the knowledge base ( I had actually found that one) and it did not change a thing. It IS good to know though the proper way to fix the expected problem in the future. I also try to build my VI's with a direct c: drive path so I know where to put my saved data, ini folders etc.. I appreciate the link, but we still have a mystery!

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,821 Views)

Daddy-O

Thanks for the reply.  I was kind of afraid it was a new wrinkle.  You may want to report this to NI as a potential bug.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,818 Views)

Bolt,

As soon as I get this installed at customers I have a lengthy writeup and will be fascinated at what the conclusion ends up being. I love the mystery failures, except when they are mine.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,815 Views)