From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Tech Challenge Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Update Firmware' missing required FCS files

Solved!
Go to solution

I installed the Nov 7th Toolkit update and hoped to see this issue fixed (it was not).

Here is a detailed description of what I have experienced regarding the 'Update Firmware' in the new LVLM 2012/MCT Toolkit.

The firmware update is no longer installing the tournament required 'Program Chooser.rxe' and 'samostat.rxe' file (as it did in the 2010/FTC toolkit version last season).

I have retained the 2010/FTC version on one computer, and the 2012/MCT on another.

Performing a 'Firmware Update' on each one yields different results: 2010/FTC gives the required files, 2012/MCT does not.

A quick comparison of the two installations reveals that the directory structures and contents are basically identical:

• In both, the Nxt Terminal cites the following directory to look for firmware:

'C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\Targets\NI\NXT\NXTToolkit\Firmware'

• In both, the *.rxe files do exist in the direcotry

'C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\NXT\Subs\OnBoardFiles'

There is a difference in the firmware file used by each installation:

• 2010/FTC uses: 'LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Firmware V1.31.rfw' 12/6/2012 11:16am 256 kB
  • 2012/MCT uses: 'LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Firmware V1.31.rfw'  9/6/2012 11:07am 256 kB

In the meantime I have found the quickest way to get the required .rxe's is by using the 'Send File to NXT' file operation tab in the 'NXT Terminal' I place the 2 required files from the [OnBoardFiles] directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\NXT\Subs\OnBoardFiles'

I would love to have these files come in automatically whenever we 'Update Firmware' like last year - How can I do that?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,402 Views)

I decided to compare the files that are loaded on during the Firmware Update, and I noticed something even more disturbing...

...the 'NXTShell.rxe' is not being placed on it either. Should we add that too? And if so, from where?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,763 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mathterizer

Hi Mathterizer,

The NXTShell will be auto-downloaded when you use a vi in direct mode. Just create a blank vi targeted to computer (Main Application Instance) and drop a simple play sound subvi to make the NXT beep. When you run your VI, you should see a quick "downloading files" progress bar pop up and you will now have NXTShell on your NXT.

Message 3 of 4
(3,763 Views)

HOORAY!

We don't ever run in direct mode, so this just wouldn't happen under normal circumstances for us. Something about 2010 had it happen automatically during the 'Update Firmware' process.

The really great news is that the 'Program Chooser' and 'Samostat' files are also being loaded on! FINALLY!

I played RED song, 'Are you sleeping?'

I was so excited by this...finally an easy way...I created a new thread about it in the FIRST FTC Forums. It will be particularly useful to rookie teams, as it provides a detailed step-by-step description of what you said to do http://ftcforum.usfirst.org/showthread.php?2331-Program-Chooser-Samostat-NXTShell-LabVIEW Thank You.

Message 4 of 4
(3,763 Views)