From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Tech Challenge Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTC on FRC (8.6) LV?

Solved!
Go to solution

I read the thread about using LV FTC module on LV2010 vs 2009, and I hate to ask, but we are both an FRC team and FTC team, and we program FRC in LV 8.6ish I think, and currently use RobotC for FTC. A couple kids asked me if we could use LV for the FTC/NxT, since they are getting familiar with LV and our RobotC guy is less interested.  So, should we just install the LV that came with our KOP this year, or can we use the 8.6ish version, which we understand to be a bit more robust?  Thanks, Chuck Merja FRC 1696 FTC 724, 4535

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,685 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chuckmerja

chuckmerja,

Unforuntately the FTC toolkit and NXT module used in the FTC competition is for LabVIEW 2009 only.  Next year FTC will be using LabVIEW 2010.  Fortunately LabVIEW 8.6 and 2009 can be installed side by side on the same system without negatively effecting one another.  There is probably an argument that LabVIEW 2009 is actually more robust than 8.6 since it includes bug fixes that were discovered within 8.6.  That said all of the major bugs that would effect FRC teams have been addressed in the slightly customized version of LV 8.6 that was made available to teams.  If you do run into any issues or bugginess please post about there here.  We want to know about them!

I hope this addresses your questions.  Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,123 Views)

OK, we had another meeting tonight and got the FTC disk out to install on my student's take-home computer.  We didn't see a serial number on the FTC disks, so it looks like we only have a 30 day trial.  So how do we find SN for the FTC disk, or...we have a couple stand alone 2009 student editions with SN on the DVD's - can/should we use one of those?  And how long are the 2009's with SN good for?

thanks! C

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,123 Views)

OK, we had another meeting tonight and got the FTC disk out to install on my student's take-home computer.  We didn't see a serial number on the FTC disks, so it looks like we only have a 30 day trial.  So how do we find SN for the FTC disk, or...we have a couple stand alone 2009 student editions with SN on the DVD's - can/should we use one of those?  And how long are the 2009's with SN good for?

thanks! C

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,123 Views)

The 2009 Student Edition serial number will work with the copy of LabVIEW 2009 shipped with the FTC KOPs.  I unsure exactly how long that serial number will activate LabVIEW, but I suspect that it is a non expiring license. 

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,123 Views)

Update: LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS is now avalible for FTC and FLL competitions.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,123 Views)