FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBLAN from a VMware Workstation VM?

I cannot get the USBLAN adapter to work in a VMware Workstation virtual machine (Windows 10 guest). It installs cleanly with all the rest of the FRC Update Suite, VMware sees the roboRIO as a removable device and lets you attach it to the guest VM but that's it. I can't see the device in the guest... Anyone have this working? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,500 Views)

I have tried with VMWare Workstation 14 and been able to use the adapter correctly:2019-01-20 13_39_50-FIRST - VMware Workstation 14 Player.png

1. Have you shared the connection to the client it in the VMWare environment?
  2. Do you see it in the client's Device Manager? 
    1. If it does not show up, then I presume VMWare is not making the connection to the client from the host.
    2. If it does show up, check if it shows as a Network adapter.
  3. Once it shows as a network adapter, I would try pinging the USB IP: 172.22.11.2 and see if you get a response.
  4. If you do, I presume the issue is in a firewall/anti-virus blocking the DS and/or other applications to communicate with the device in your client.

Let us know your results.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,474 Views)

Thanks Oscar. I have Workstation 12. 

1. Have you shared the connection to the client it in the VMWare environment? Yes
  2. Do you see it in the client's Device Manager? No

At least I know it works for you. I'll see about a WS upgrade...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,465 Views)

I tried Workstation 15 and that still didn't work for me. However, knowing that you had it working and now the implication that it's not a WS version thing pointed me in the right direction. My Win 10 VM was a 32 bit VM. I re-tested with a Win10 x64 VM and it all worked... I'm not sure if that is a VMware WS-imposed restriction or something else but this is fine for me. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,454 Views)