Our online shopping is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Not Running

Kevin, we will rebuild the 37 Pin cable with new connectors today and retest. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,830 Views)

We rebuilt the cable with a new 37 pin connector and we have motor drive working now. Thanks!

Message 12 of 20
(1,830 Views)

It turns out that my team's problem was the pin connector as well

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,830 Views)

We found the instructions for modifying the connector on the DB37 cable difficult to follow. Following the instructions we ended up while using the vise with the metal shell collapsing before the connector back was seated.

On our application of a second 37 pin connector that worked correctly, we used a screwdriver to press the ribbon cable into place 3 conductors at a time until the ribbon was seated, then the connector back went cleanly on.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,830 Views)

Kevin_F wrote:

Hey KennethO,

The digital sidecar should be outputting a true PWM output with ~50% duty cycle for a centered joystick. If you are seeing just a DC 0V signal on the PWM out of the digital sidecar I would suspect an issue with the cable. I would try testing some of the other outputs on the digital sidecar to see if its just one channel that is having an issue or the whole sidecar.

The digital sidecar does not output a true PWM signal. Rather it outputs a hobby servo PWM style signal. The value for neutral is 1.5ms on. The min and max values and period vary based on the speed controller selected in the program. See http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11275&d=1325813731

The output of the speed controller is true PWM.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,830 Views)

For other people reading this, I recommend reversing the female side rather then the male side, to avoid crushing the shield in the vise.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,830 Views)

Hey Sciencewhiz,

Thanks for the clarification. You are of course right that the sidecar outputs a servo style PWM. It might be worth pointing out that the values for neutral, forward and reverse can all be calibrated so if thats been done then they may be different than the table (although they should still be close). The TI users guide is a good resource for information on the Jaguar speed controllers:http://www.ti.co m/lit/ug/spmu131b/spmu131b.pdf

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,830 Views)

I have the same problem

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,830 Views)

I checked everything you said the wiring, jumpers but the motor didn't work

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,830 Views)

Have you tried a simple digital output test to make sure the sidecar is functioning correctly? What light pattern are you seeing on the Jaguar? Are you using the default robot project? In autonomous or teleop mode?

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,830 Views)