FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Not Running

Okay, so I made a simple motor code for labview carefully following this pdf: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-14723 I did not add the option joystick into the program. I have set up all of the equipment and powered everything up. I deployed the code from labview and it says it successfully loaded in onto the cRIO. I then opened driverstation and both the comunication and robot code lights were on enable. I then went back to front panel in labview and adjust the speed control and the motor didn't do anything. Please help!

If it helps you to know, the 6v light on the digital sidecar did not light up, and also the yellow LED on the jaguar flashes.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(15,670 Views)

It sounds like you didn't connect 12V from the Power Distribution board to the Digital Sidecar.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(4,275 Views)

I did, the BAT light and the 5v light were on

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(4,275 Views)

If that is the case, then you have a short on one of your PWM lines... that's where the 6V signal goes (if you install the power jumper next to the PWM connector).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(4,275 Views)

Do you know where online I could find a tutorial on how to use a power jumper on the digital sidecar?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(4,275 Views)

Just about eveything can be found on the usfirst.org site under the Game and Season Info link

Game and Season Info at FIRST.org

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/game-and-season-info

Kit of Parts Home

Technical Resources

Digital Sidecar

Omar
Message 6 of 20
(4,275 Views)

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(4,275 Views)

The Jaguar PWM should NOT have a power jumper installed.  That jumper is primarily for powering hobby servos.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(4,275 Views)

We are having a similar problem. We deployed the simple motor control program, the cRIO loads and runs the program, we have all the correct power lights on the Digital Side Car, but we get a slow flashing on the Jaguar when we connect to it with PWM.We had to rework our 37 pin cable since it was reversed, so we suspect that either the cable is the problem or the Digital sidecar. Any suggestions on debugging a Digital Side Car where output does not appear to be coming on the PWM?

Is the PWM output a true PWM output? should it be at a 50% duty cycle for a centered joystick? We are seeing 0V on the PWM output.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(4,275 Views)

Hey KennethO,

The digital sidecar should be outputting a true PWM output with ~50% duty cycle for a centered joystick. If you are seeing just a DC 0V signal on the PWM out of the digital sidecar I would suspect an issue with the cable. I would try testing some of the other outputs on the digital sidecar to see if its just one channel that is having an issue or the whole sidecar.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(4,275 Views)