From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRC Offseason Template Issues

Please post any issues you have with the template. I'll check this regularly to make sure nothing is falling apart in the maze.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(9,466 Views)

I am unable to even get the robot to move.  I have tried simply enabling one of the autonomous modes or using the very simple teleop code you included.  I can see the Drive Values being returened on the dashboard but the robot still does not move.  I have other simulation projects that work just fine.  I would be happy to talk about this more in depth offline.

Jason Daming

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,588 Views)

You still need to open the driver station and enable the robot for the code to begin executing. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,588 Views)

Kyle,

I completely agree and understand that I need to open the driver station and enable the robot.  As I mention above I have tried enabling both autonomous and teleop and can get neither to move the robot in the simulated maze.  I can even see the motor values changing on the dashboard (according to my program) but still no movement on the sim environment.  I am an ex-AE so I do have some expierence here, but as this is such a "simple" problem I can't rule out that I am doing something stupid. 

Thanks for the help!
Jason

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,588 Views)

Jason

Are you running it on the classmate or another PC? Do you have a second computer you can try it on?

It runs more smoothly on PCs with a 3rd party graphics card (Nvidia or ATI). Let me double check I didnt' break the template before uploading, I was having issues with the servo and fixed that before uploading.

Thanks,
Kyle Hartley

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,588 Views)

Kyle,

I am running it on my personal laptop. It is much faster than the classmate but not perfect. I tried dropping the sim time just in case, no help.  Unfortunately I don't have the FRC disk and probably won't be able to get it till Wednesday then I can try it on my desktop. It would be nice if there was a way I could confirm the model is generating.

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,588 Views)

Hey Jason,

Nope not just you. The bot is "stuck" to the floor. The wheels move but its caught on something.

Kyle

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,588 Views)

Kyle,

No problem.  Thanks for all the hard work you have done and do for this I know in addition to the AE duties you have there is probably a lot on your plate.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,588 Views)

Wanted to also ask several questions about the contraints of the maze if any:

1) Obviously the maze is not simply connected as the example is not, I assume this is the case going forward?

2) Will the finish always be a red square?

3) The maze will always be contained correct?

4) Will the maze always be a rectangle?

5) Will all interior areas of the maze always be somewhat accessable (ie: no box/island in the middle of the maze)?

6) I notice a couple markings on the walls any rhyme or reason to those?

7) Will there ever me a situation where the robot can/will get "out" of the maze? (IE over a wall etc)

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,588 Views)

Hey Jason,

I'll try to answer you questions.

1)you lost me, not familiar with what you mean by that. It should be a path. We'll finalize the final obstacles soon so if we don't upload an obstacle you won't be responsible for it.

2) Green is start, Red is finish, always 1.5m^2 area

3)Yes, we may have larger open spaces but there won't be any openings to the outside. That doesn't mean we won't mess with you (see the ramp obstacle, the wall should be shorter than the ultrasonics) but phisically the robot won't be able to leave the maze.

4)Undecided I wanted to add a curve but I haven't been able to implement one yet.

5)There may be boxed areas. except for the bridge challenge the robot should be able to get out of most areas.

6)Those are to help you figure out which challenge is which. Those markings should be unique for each challenge so if you identify the challenge from the wall and your robot can decided to attempt it.

7)Nope.

I'll get the template fixed today, we ended up just readding the robot. I'll fix it and post when its updated.

Thanks,
Kyle Hartley

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,588 Views)