FIRST Robotics Competition Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FRC 2016] NI Software Set Up Guide

Software

NI has 2 installers for FRC 2016.

The "NI Software for FRC 2016" content contains industry standard versions of LabVIEW, Real-Time, Vision, PID, and the FRC Simulator. This content is available via download or on the NI Software DVD in your kit of parts.

The FRC 2016 Update Suite contains all of the FRC Specific content for LabVIEW as well as the Driver station and Utilities that ALL FRC teams will need to install.

Check the options below if you are not sure what you need to download and install.

Installation instructions are included in the What Should I Install? section below.

NI SW FRC 2016.png FRC 2016 Update.png

The FRC Update Suite Password is: @Ahead)Together!FRC^2016

Download NI SW FRC 2016.png Download FRC 2016 Update.png

Activation

Both the "NI Software for FRC 2016" and the FRC Update Suite will need to be activated. You can find your team's unique serial number on the back of the DVD envelope that is included all teams Kit Of Parts.

The serial Number should start with an 'M'

If you want to install software before you receive you kit of parts just leave the serial numbers blank and LabVIEW will be installed as a trial.

You can Activate LabVIEW after installation using the NI Licence Manager. (Start>Programs>National Instruments>NI Licence Manger

Serial number 2016.png

What should I install?

Option 1: Your team is programming in LabVIEW

Download and Install all components of NI Software for FRC 2016

then Download and Install FRC Update Suite

then restart your computer

Option 2: Your team is using C++ or Java but wants to use NI Vision

Download the NI Software for FRC 2016 and install vision only

then Download and Install FRC Update Suite

Option 3: Your Team is using C++ or Java and only need the required competition software

Just download and Install the FRC Update Suite

Still want to use a 4-slot or 8-slot cRIO? Install FRC 2014 Software:

The 4-slot and 8-slot cRIO controllers can no longer be used for FIRST competitions.  But you can still program these controllers for use in demo robots. You will need to use the NI Software for FRC 2014 installer and the FRC 2014 Update Suite (links below). You will also need the serial number from your FRC 2014 Kit of Parts to use this software.

Download the 2014 NI Software for FRC

Download the 2014 Update Suite

Comments
marc.center
on

After Installing the FRC2016 Labview software the NI system checked for updates and found some. Should I install the updates?  BTW, last year installing the updates caused problems and users needed to remove the updates in order for the 2015 FRC Control System to operate.

ToeTickler
on

What software did it find updates for?

TowerViewBlues
on

im haveing troubles trying to have our system to pick up any update with the NI softwear anyone know how to help me out?

ToeTickler
on

Which software are you trying to update?

ikelli
NI Employee (retired)
on

You may not have any available updates depending on when you downloaded the software.  Which update are you trying to receive?

You can verify your update service is set correctly by navigating to Start»All Programs»National Instruments and launch NI Update Service.  From there, navigate to File»Preferences. 

Make sure the Enable periodic checking box is selected.

Kelli Kravetz
Product Marketing Manager
LabVIEW, LabVIEW NXG, LabWindows/CVI, Measurement Studio
National Instruments
netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi everyone,

Keep in mind that you should not apply any optional upgrades. These may install over FRC dependencies which could break your code.

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
mrbbking
on

How many times can we use the activation code? Our team has more than one system we'd like to use.

johneev
on

I down loaded NI_FRC2016.zip --extracted the files and ran setup --input my serial number--did the reboot when told--opened labview successfully all went well....Until I then downloaded the FRCUpdate2016.0.0.zip file --When I try to extract all I get a message saying that the files are password protected -- any ideas?

marc.center
on

Hello,

1) Did you use the password that was provided at the FRC Kickoff? I would

try this one.

2) Sometimes rebooting your PC helps. You might want to try that before

trying to download the update. It might help as well,

apriltalksrobots
NI Employee (retired)
on

@mrbbking,

The activation code will work for up to three computers. This will allow your team to use more than one system.

1138Eagles
on

Use the password that you were given at kickoff to unzip the game manual (Look on the FRC website if you don't know what that is.

Mattfiles
on

Can Someone tell me what to do if My team lost their liscense number? Id there a place online to find it or can I request a new one?

ToeTickler
on

Please call into support and we can help you with that.

ericalbers
on

Where can we find a serial number???  We lost/no longer have the cardboard sleeve from the DVD!

Our roborio has to be flashed to use this weekend at Northbay competition?????

Is there a default serial number we can use?

I.B.Hating
NI Employee (retired)
on

If you do not choose to activate LabVIEW or any other NI product it will be installed in evaluation mode for 30 days.

Brian H. -- Electronics & Measurements Product Marketing Manager
apriltalksrobots
NI Employee (retired)
on

You can also call in to NI Support at 866-511-6285 for help with your activation!

Contributors