FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRC 2012 cRIO project error

We have LabView running but when we try to create the FRC cRIO Robot Project we get an error that a vi is missing (see complete error message below).

Hardware: FRC cRIO I  (not II)

Installation sequence:  

installed LabView {everything} (from USB Drive from 2012 Kickoff) and activated with FRC serial #.

installed the FRC 2012 LabView Update from NI website.

installed the FRC 2012 LabView Utilities Update from NI website.

installed the FRC 2012 LabView Driver Station Update from NI website.

My understanding is you do not need to have any hardware to create a cRIO Robot project.  The hardware is only necessary when you want to run the code. 

Could you confirm that we have to setup the cRIO, Axis Camera and Robot Radio (per Getting Started list of tutorials) before creating that project? 

If this is the reason for the error, is there ANY other way to virtually setup the RT hardware WITHOUT having to physically connect to it first? 

ERROR MESSAGE:

Error 7 occurred at Open VI Reference in FRC Create Project.vi->FRC Wizard - Robot.vi

Possible reason(s):  LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.  VI Path: C:\Users\DALE\Documents\LabVIEW Data\2012-beta Robot Project\Dashboard Datatype.ctl

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,598 Views)

Hi Dale,

I got that same error. I uninstalled Labview and all it's components for FRC and re-installed making sure I ran using "autorun.exe". I don't know why it worked after that, but it did.

You don't have to have the cRio hooked up to create a project, or edit it. Only to run it.

Joe V

FIRST Team 704 mentor

"Lockheed" Joe
Testing Blog"
Message 2 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Joe,  Thanks,  I already reinstalled it once, but I did not reinstall using "autorun.exe".  I wll make sure and use the autorun option this next time. Dale

Message 3 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Joe, thanks for the suggestion; however I just finished the reinstall of LabView for the 4th time (using autorun.exe) after uninstalling ALL installed National Instruments programs and further erasing all folders under National Instruments folder in c:\Program Files\ and then installing directly from the original USB drive provided at Kickoff.

Same Error: Error 7 occurred at Open VI Reference in FRC Create Project.vi->FRC Wizard - Robot.vi

Possible reason(s): LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.  VI Path: C:\LabVIEW_Projects\Dashboard Datatype.ctl

Any suggestions on what to try next?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,040 Views)

It looks to me like this error is because LabVIEW is trying to open a file that doesn't exist in the path it was given.  I suspect the reason is that the wizard failed to get the file copied to the expected location.  By wizard I am talking about the tool that creates a new robot project for you.  When you run the wizard it applies your configuration, copies files into a project for you, then opens the project.  If the copy fails, then the open will fail.

I'm guessing here, but maybe this is a permissions problem.  Have you tried running as administrator, turning off windows firewall, etc.?

You could also check to make sure the files used by the wizard exist.  For example Dashboard Datatype.ctl should be located here:

LabVIEW 2011\resource\plugins\NewDialogFiles\ProjectWizards\FRC\FRC Templates\Robot

and here:

LabVIEW 2011\resource\plugins\NewDialogFiles\ProjectWizards\FRC\FRC Templates\Robot\Real VIs

If it is missing, I would suspect an installation issue.

You might also look in the project folder where you told the wizard to create the project, and see if any files exist there.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The file “Dashboard Datatype.ctl”  exists in the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2011\resource\plugins\NewDialogFiles\ProjectWizards\FRC\FRC Templates\Robot\Real Vis\

I then turned off the McAfee Firewall and tried to execute the FRC cRIO Robot Project.  I got the same error message.

I then restarted LabVIEW 2011 with “run as administrator” and tried to execute the FRC cRIO Robot Project.  I got the same error message.

Error 7 occurred at Open VI Reference in FRC Create Project.vi->FRC Wizard - Robot.vi     Possible reason(s):  LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.  VI Path: C:\Users\DALE\Documents\LabVIEW Data\2012RobotProject_6\Dashboard Datatype.ctl

In the folder “C:\Users\DALE\Documents\LabVIEW Data\2012RobotProject_6\”  there are only two files: “2012RobotProject_6.lvproj”, and “2012RobotProject_6.aliases”.  NOTE: I am using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.  Also, the path displayed in Windows explorer sometimes shows “My Documents” and sometimes shows “Documents”  is it possible that different function/procedure calls are being used inside this Wizard such that some of them try to use the “literal” path instead of using the correct relative path for this O/S?

Finally,  I changed the Paths in LabVIEW to point to C:\LabVIEW_Data\ to remove o/s tricks with paths using “My documents”.  I reran the Wizard.  I got the same error and the same two files were loaded into the project folder in the new path.

Thanks,

Dale

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Hey Dale,

At least one other team saw this issue and fixed it by re-downloading the FRC Updates for LabVIEW. We suspect the issue was a result of a bad download or an error unzipping the updates. I don't know if its an option but I would also try an alternate computer to see if the issue is specific to the machine you are currently using.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Kevin,  Thanks.

I have done 2 different downloads of the three FRC Updates for LabVIEW.  Can i install them over the existing OR uninstall just the updates OR do I need to uninstall and then reinstall all of LavView?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Update:  NI has been very supportive in working with me for the past several days to try to resolve the issue. 

Uninstalled and reinstalled LabView on Laptop running Windows 7 several different ways; from original USB drive from Kickoff; from folder on local HD; from discrete downloads from NI (duplicates install wizard on USB drive). Separate uninstaller was used to remove latent registry settings. Erased ALL files remaining after uninstall in National Instruments folders under Program Files and ProgramData befroe performing reinstall. Installs were done disconnected from internet with all security turned off. Results were all the same.

Last night successfully installed LabVIEW FRC 2012 on vintage desktop (8 years old) running XP.  The wizard ran and created the Robot Project without any errors.

Issue is the desktop does not have the performance or the portability to easily take to meetings with students or to competitions. 

NI trouble ticket is still open to resolve install issues with laptop.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,040 Views)