Example Code

Quick drop Shortcut - Clean All Wires

Code and Documents

Attachment

Introduction

Have you ever wanted to clean up all of the wires in your VI without moving anything else?  Now you can using VI Scripting and quick launch shortcuts:

How to Use

1. Move the attached VI's to the following directory:  <LabVIEW 2009>\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins
  2. Open a VI to fix
  3. Launch quick launch (ctrl+space)
  4. Use the shortcut ctrl+W to run the cleaner

Additional Notes

For more information on creating quick launch shortcuts, refer to Darren's LabVIEW Artisan blog

clean.png

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
ebnelson
on

That's pretty slick!  How do I use multiple character hot key names with quick drop?  For example if I want this code to be run with ctrl-rt, the ctrl-r is picked up and the vi is removed before the disired action run.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

I just now saw this comment...there is no way to do a multiple ASCII key shortcut (like Ctrl-R-T) with Quick Drop.  The best I can suggest is that a given shortcut can perform two different operations, depending on if the [Shift] key is pressed.  For example, Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-D will create controls/indicators on all unwired terminals on the selected object(s), but Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-Shift-D will create constants on the inwired input terminals.

Alex5
NI Employee (retired)
on

I tweaked this shortcut as I was saving it for LabVIEW 2011. I added it as "All Wire Cleanup.vi"

-Added Undo

-Added option to perform full block diagram cleanup if 'shift' is pressed. (and then cleaning up the wires like normal)

-Consolidated to a single VI and used the documentation to assign a default hotkey. I chose U because that is what is used for block diagram cleanup when quick drop is not open.

Alex5
NI Employee (retired)
on

Ever accidentally fire off this shortcut and have to wait a minute for it to parse through the wires of a large diagram? I added a progress bar and abort button in the new version

All Wire Cleanup with Abort.vi

Alex5
NI Employee (retired)
on

I added the ability to cleanup only the seleted wires (still cleanup all wires if nothing is selected) to the All Wire Cleanup with Abort.vi.

Contributors