From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Example Code

.NET Example: Start and Stop Windows Services Using LabVIEW

Products and Environment

This section reflects the products and operating system used to create the example.

To download NI software, including the products shown below, visit ni.com/downloads.

Software

• LabVIEW

Code and Documents

Attachment

Overview

This example shows how .NET can be used to start and stop Windows Services programmatically without having to use System Exec commands.

Description
System Exec does not allow for the command prompt to be ran as an administrator. To get around this, an application and installer must be created or LabVIEW itself has to be ran as an administrator. This example provides a workaround to control Services using .NET. The benefit is that it can elevate the permissions for the application to gain access to certain Services without having to build an executable or having to run LabVIEW as an administrator as you would with System Exec. It uses runas and net commands to configure the process through .NET. The default configuration is set to turn on/off Windows Themes. This was inspired from lavag.org.

Note: Disabling some Services can cause unexpected system behavior. Research any Services prior to running this VI.
Requirements

• LabVIEW 2012(or compatible)

Steps to Implement or Execute Code

1. Open and configure the Front Panel controls
  2. Run the VI

Additional Information or References

5-324.png

**This document has been updated to meet the current required format for the NI Code Exchange.**

David C

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
DexterL
on

This. Was. Perfect. Timing.

I see that this was posted on Jan. 3 and the last task I started on Jan. 3 was a System Exec call to stop a service. I started the struggle and search this morning and ran across this little snippet just before lunch. Thanks for saving me any further headache and head scratching!

--Dexter LaGrand.

SoftWEng
on

Thank you.  Also found this example very useful.  Is there a way to check if the service is running the same way in this code?