From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing a new driver

I need to develop drivers to use my PCIe cards under LabVIEW. The PCIe cards have Adcs and Dacs. I already have C++ libraries for accessing the PCIe cards and I want to build on top of the C++ libraries. I have seen the "Developing LabVIEW Plug and Play Instrument Drivers" article about the Wizard in LabVIEW 8.0, but that assumes that SCPI is used to communicate with the hardware. Should I use the wizard, then replace SCPI commands with calls to a DLL that I develop? Or is there a better approach I should take?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,278 Views)

Hi John,

You might want to explore the X Series DDK examples for LabVIEW on Linux ( https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-24083 ) to see one way to connect a C/C++ driver to LabVIEW.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,264 Views)

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I need to support both Windows and Linux. Will your suggested route support both?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,259 Views)

John_Owen wrote:

Thanks. I need to support both Windows and Linux. Will your suggested route support both?

Yes. There are two different ways:

1. Configure the Call Library Node to use multi-platform searching and resolution. If your driver library is called "custom_daq.dll" on Windows and "custom_daq.so" on Linux, specify "custom_daq.*" as the library name. This is the implementation for NI-DAQmx Base (which supports Windows, Mac, and Linux).
  2. If you want to use OS-conventional names like "custom_daq.dll" and "libcustomdaq.so", use conditional structures to configure a Call Library Node for each platform.
Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,256 Views)

Thanks. I am developing on Windows at present and do not have a Linux platform today. Are you confirming my approach should be to develop a DLL, not a NI-DAQmx driver? Are there any examples that I can load in Windows that helps me see how I develop the VI's to communicate to the DLL? Or is it just a case of using the same method the Plug & Play Instrument Driver Model shows but replace the SCPI calls with my DLL? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,240 Views)

Hi John,

John_Owen wrote:

Are you confirming my approach should be to develop a DLL, not a NI-DAQmx driver?

Hmmm... Now I'm not sure we're using the same meanings. If you have custom hardware, you cannot extend NI-DAQmx to support it.

Are there any examples that I can load in Windows that helps me see how I develop the VI's to communicate to the DLL?

Take a closer look at the LabVIEW Example Finder -- you'll see reference designs for nearly every kind of task you can accomplish with the language. To learn about the Call Library Node, navigate to Communicating with External Applications » Using External Code » Integrating DLLs » External Code (DLL) Execution.vi.

lvexfinder.png

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,236 Views)