From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nidmm.h causing C Linkage error between two overloaded iviBufWrite functions

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using the PXIe-1078 box with the PXIe-4080 Multimeter and PXIe2636 Switch Matrix. I’m using Visual Basic 2013 C++ to write the program being used with the products.

I am trying to use the C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI\Include and C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Include directories in order to use the “niSwitch.h” and “nidmm.h” header files. However the C linkage is causing problems because  there are two functions, one in “visa.h”(line 147) and one in “ivi.h”(line 1446) called Ivi_BufWrite that have different parameters and cannot be overloaded thus causing me to be unable to build my project.

I have been been unable to determine what is causing this problem nor how to fix it and have come here for suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,040 Views)

Im having the same issue with a KEYSIGHT DMM and NIDMM. Not much out there on this. 

Have you been able to solve this issue? 

One possible solution that i have been trying:  

-Using Either VISA or IVI but not both for our instruments. 

Ill update if i am able to find a solution. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,959 Views)
Solution
Accepted by DanyAllard

I have solved the issue by modifying one of the IviBufwrite functions, namely the one contained within the "ivi.h" file at line 1446 by changing the ViBuf buf to a ViConstBuf. This required modifying the header files which is not ideal, however, changing it to a Const is relatively safe but I don't know if it will cause any unexpected issues going forward. Non so far.

Message 3 of 4
(3,927 Views)

I'm having the same problem. NI support acknowledges a bug and cites the post marked as a "solution" in this post as the "official solution NI supports."

For some reason I can't really explain, it seems to be going in to an #if that it shouldn't be; commenting out the contents (line 1452 in ivi.h) also seems to resolve it (which is cleaner in my opinion):

cstryker_0-1581693850358.png

The above said, I'm working with inherited code with about a billion dependencies, so I haven't ruled out external factors. At some point I intend to attempt a simpler reproducing case to see if it persists.

Finally, if you're using a version of VISA prior to 2017, this shouldn't be an issue:

Revision 5.8, October 17, 2017
Defined new const types and updated public entry points to use the correct const type for input parameters.

https://www.ivifoundation.org/downloads/Architecture%20Specifications/IVIspecstopost10-22-2018/vpp43...

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,640 Views)