From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble using NI USB-4065 with VMWare virtual machine

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm going to work with a virtual machine (windows xp) and I need to use a DMM NI USB-4065.

When I connect the USB-4065 to the PC, the virtual windows xp recognize the new HW and also MAX display the new device on the DAQmx list.

It appears ok but if i try to use the USB-4065 (opening the soft frontpanel or in a LabView VI), the device doesn't work.

If I use the soft frontpanel, when i click one botton, the panel seems work but doesn't measure anything; if I try to restart the softpanel, it doesn't work and "freeze" the panel's display.

If I use LabView, the VI return an error about maximum time of the mesurement.

I try to use the device on the real machine (not with VMware) and the USB-4065 works, whith soft panel and whith VI.

I upgrade the DMM's driver on the virtual machine, bat the device doesn't work again.

... I haven't others idea, someone can help me with this trouble?

Thank's, Sem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,113 Views)

Hi,

- which kind of error do you receive (error code)?

- which version of windows xp service pack do you use?

Thanks for your reply.

Giuseppe.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(10,105 Views)

Hi,

thankyou Giuseppe.

I use VMware; the virtual machine is windows xp 32 bit SP3.

I repeat the trouble with Soft front panel and with LabView2009, and I attach relative images.

The only news is that I see the DMM works only the first time I read; if i try to change measure (whit Soft front panel) or if I re-run the VI in LabView, the DMM stopp to work.

Thankyou, by Sem.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,102 Views)

NI-DMM is not supported in virtualized environments.  There's a lot of hardware abstraction that virtual machines can't handle.  If you're using  an Intel Mac, Boot Camp is the only supported method (since it's not virtualized).

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,092 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IronSem

Hi John,

this isn't a good news for my project but tankyou for information.

See you, by Sem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(10,082 Views)

Dear all,

I have installed NI-DAQmx and NI DMM 14.0 drivers.

Windows 7 (64bit) recognizes the unit in device manager but Meausrement & Automation explorer does not.

What can I do?

Thank you,

Tomaz

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,067 Views)

Tomaz, you need to give more information.

Are you using VMWare?

What version?

On what platform?

On what hardware?

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,063 Views)

Hi,

two years ago, I had to sobstitute the NI DMM with another commercial DMM (I usec TekTronix), because of NI DMM can't be virtualized; last summer, I test the NI VirtualBench and now I'm thinking to replace my commercial instrument whith this.

VB is smart, small, easy to use, cheap and virtualized... I think that VB is one of the best USB HW Test invented until now, and the performance are sufficient for the most of standard measures. I suggest to use VB.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,052 Views)

Hi, thank you for the answer.

I have reinstalled the NI DMM 14 drivers. Now I can see something in the automation Explorer, but cannot start test panel software.

Please see picture for details.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,047 Views)