Our online shopping is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-4162 NIDCPower Error Code -1074097799

Good Day,

Using an PXIe-4162 to measure voltage.  Initialization occurs once and then measurements occur in a loop at ~300ms intervals. 

Could be 1000 or so loops/measurements occur.  Then get this error -1074097799 

niDCPower Measure Multiple.vi<ERR>The device session is invalid. The device might have been reset or removed from the system. If you have reset the device through Measurement & Automation Explorer, you can create the session again by initializing the device.

Device: SMU_4162_C1_S10/7
Additional Error Info: Failed to get hardware errors, status: -1074097799

This occurs just between one measurement and another, which had been running fine, without initialization in between.

I did a search and found this page on NI.com  https://www.ni.com/en/search.html?q=-1074097799

However, the links on that page lead to 

Page Error

The page you requested may have moved, been deleted, or is inaccessible.

Search below for other content, or contact NI for assistance.

The original page does refer to the error code I am seeing and a possible bug.  

Would anybody know where this information can be found.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,571 Views)

It would be helpful to see a simplified version of the code that exhibits the issue.

The reason your session would be invalidated is if there was a surprise device removal or the board is reset (e.g. from MAX).

Perhaps you can share some details about your hardware setup. Are you using Thunderbolt or MXI? Is it possible your board went into sleep or hibernation?

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,567 Views)

Hi Marcos,

Thank you for your reply.  

The SMU is part of PXI with embedded controller.  Code running on the controller. 
We are using the system as a GPIB instrument communicating to another computer which is the controller on GPIB network. Which I realize is odd.
After the PXI does initialization and configuration of instruments, it is simply a loop waiting for the controller to request a measurement, the PXI does the SMU measurement, and sends the data back to the controller.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,543 Views)

That's really odd. This is an NI branded controller I assume?

I am wondering if something happening on your system is causing a PCI to reconfigure, which would manifest itself as the SMU going away and then reappearing invalidating any open sessions in the process.

Have you tried to isolate the problem by creating a pared down program that reproduces the issue? If you succeed, try temporarily removing other hardware from the system. If you still see the issue, I would suspect a faulty instrument, perhaps a marginal power supply or something like that in which case you'd need to get it repaired 😞

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,533 Views)

Hi Marcos,

The controller is a windows box with a sw program created by a third party (not LV) and a USB-GPIB.  That controller does have NI-Max installed. 

The PXI with the SMU is an instrument on that network as is another piece of equipment (that is non NI, non LV).

Another note: this PXI is embedded in an STS. We are not using TSM in this instance.  Just LV as if the PXI were not part of an STS.  Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,528 Views)

For the purpose of this issue, we only care about the computer in which the PXIe-4162 is. It sounds like it's an NI branded controller and chassis. It sounds like you can open a session to a device and use it periodically and after some amount of time the session is invalidated. See if you can reproduce the issue in isolation, that is, running a pared down program that measures periodically without all the other complexity in the program. That will give you a better idea of whether you have faulty instrument or now.

You never said which version of NI-DCPower you are using, which is also good information.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,521 Views)

NI-DCPower 21.8.

OK ... let me make a simple program.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,517 Views)

I realize I wrote:

Is it possible your board went into sleep or hibernation?

I meant the computer, not the instrument. My bad.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,511 Views)

Hi Marcos,

Thank you.

I ran approximately 200M measurements with a simple VI.  No errors.  Not a hardware problem.  Should I accept that error as a fluke?  Is there something about using a PXI controller as an instrument rather than an as controller?

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,421 Views)

> Should I accept that error as a fluke?

Hard to say, for now I'd say keep an eye on things and if it happens again maybe there's some pattern you can see that makes this happen. These are tricky to diagnose issues.

> Is there something about using a PXI controller as an instrument rather than an as controller?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,418 Views)