Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NiMax not detecting PXIe-4139

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a system that runs LabView 2014DS1 and I need to use a PXIe-4139.

I installed NI-DCPower 17.6.1 as the readme for this version indicates it supports PXIe-4139 and LabView 2014DS1

From NI MAX, I am detecting all the other cards but not the PXIe-4139.

Here is what I see on the Diagnostic Report

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,063 Views)

Worth trying NI MAX database reset - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8awSAC&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,049 Views)

1. Have you confirmed the instrument works? Where did you get it from? Are you confident it was functional? Maybe you can try it on another system, hopefully with newer software installed, and confirm it’s not a hardware issue on the instrument.

2.  Once you confirm the hardware is good, look at Windows Device Manager and confirm that it shows up there and that it has a driver assigned to it.

Let us know how this goes.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,033 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

Worth trying NI MAX database reset - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8awSAC&l=en-US

Yes, I tried a reset

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,024 Views)

@kirsch wrote:

1. Have you confirmed the instrument works? Where did you get it from? Are you confident it was functional? Maybe you can try it on another system, hopefully with newer software installed, and confirm it’s not a hardware issue on the instrument.

Everything is NIB from NI
I have three 4139s and a working 4138 in another system.  I am going to try some board swapping today.

@kirsch wrote:

2.  Once you confirm the hardware is good, look at Windows Device Manager and confirm that it shows up there and that it has a driver assigned to it.

Interesting.  I had not considered looking in Windows Device Manager

markshancock_0-1651849594055.png

Is there somewhere to look up NI Hardware Ids to see if the unrecognized device is my 4139?

markshancock_1-1651849693762.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,021 Views)
Solution
Accepted by markshancock

0x7A78 is the subsystem ID for the PXIe-4139 (40W), a newer higher-powered version of the PXIe-4139. I am afraid your driver may be too old for it (assuming the board is OK of course).

You seem to be using (stuck with?) an ancient version of LabVIEW and this is why you are installing an ancient version of NI-DCPower, since our drivers support current + 3 older LabVIEW versions.

Your options are:

1. Use the older 20W model of the PXIe-4139
  2. Upgrade LabVIEW and NI-DCPower
  3. Backup the NI-DCPower LabVIEW API for your version of LabVIEW, upgrade the driver, manually restore the backed up VIs

#3 is quite hacky, unsupported, and you should do this as your last resort. You will need to make sure you copied everything needed including the RC file (property node definition) and RCH file (session wire type).

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
Message 6 of 15
(3,014 Views)

@kirsch wrote:

0x7A78 is the subsystem ID for the PXIe-4139 (40W), a newer higher-powered version of the PXIe-4139. I am afraid your driver may be too old for it (assuming the board is OK of course).

You seem to be using (stuck with?) an ancient version of LabVIEW and this is why you are installing an ancient version of NI-DCPower, since our drivers support current + 3 older LabVIEW versions.

Thanks,  I did not realize there were two versions of the PXIe-4139.  I'll look back through the NI-DCPower release notes and see if that is mentioned.

Regarding LabView. I am not actually using it, I just use that as a compatibility proxy.  We talk to all of the NI instruments via .NET using Interop classes that were created with NI Measurement Studio 2014DS1.  None of that compatibility is declared anywhere by NI, but LabView 2014DS1 compatibility is.  I assume it was built the same way, so I have been using that as a way to identify driver compatibility.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,012 Views)

Regarding LabView. I am not actually using it, I just use that as a compatibility proxy.  We talk to all of the NI instruments via .NET using Interop classes that were created with NI Measurement Studio 2014DS1.

That's interesting. There is an official NI-DCPower C# API. You may want to look into it. Your client code will probably be nicer and you will get LabVIEW out of the picture altogether.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,009 Views)

@kirsch wrote:

That's interesting. There is an official NI-DCPower C# API. You may want to look into it. Your client code will probably be nicer and you will get LabVIEW out of the picture altogether.

The C# API sounds interesting.  I will investigate that.  Where do I found out more?  Is this something I have to purchase?  Is it backward compatible to older NI Drivers (2014DS1)?

One big concern I have is compatibility.  Our test system was developed over the the past 10 years and has C# drivers for a large number of instruments (including lots of NI ones) and is running here and in Germany on quite a few systems - many with older cards and running the original drivers from 2014DS1.  I don't want to introduce an issue and also, I don't want to make a change I have to re-validate across all systems.  Changing the NI driver on one new system is lower risk and I have to validate that system anyway.  Changing the C# Driver has potential impact on many systems.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,004 Views)

Do you have a recommendation of how to determine if there are any breaking changes between an updated NI Driver version and an older NI application dll?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,998 Views)