Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get resistance value of a circuit with NI USB-4065 USB without using measurement studio?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I am working on a project where in part it has to measure resistance values in different parts of the circuit. Now, the company where I am currently working at wants to get the NI USB-4065 USB. I use visual studio 2005 c# to develop applications and I needed to know if I needed measurement studio or are there drivers (dlls) to just get resistance values and general circuit measurements. I don't need the controls or anything, just to programatically read the values from the NI USB-4065 USB device when i need to in the application.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,391 Views)
This is very possible. A .NET wrapper for NI-DMM is available here. There are several versions of the NI-DMM .NET wrapper available at that link. The 3.0 version also contains several example programs which you can use to get started, including a Measure Resistance example. These should allow you to get started. They were built using Visual Studio 2005, so you should be good to go.

Please reply back if you need any more assistance.

Thank you,

Tobias
Software Engineer
Precision DC Software
National Instruments
Tobias
Principal Software Engineer
Driver Software
National Instruments
Message 2 of 13
(7,379 Views)

Great! Thanks for the reply and information. I got one more question.

I am asking since I can't test this yet since I don't have the hardware but I have to be ready.

Can I have 1 pci and 2 usb 4065 connected all at the same time? The project will involve taking series or resistance throughout a circuit and it will never be touched. I'ts for quality control of a device that's being manufactured and since its more than two places where resistance measurements will be needed, the company will need more than one 4065 but they already said they have a pci card, the rest will be usb.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,365 Views)
Solution
Accepted by miguel16

Yes, you can have multiple NI 4065 DMMs in your system. When you use the NI-DMM API, you open separate handles to each DMM by using its name. Its name can be configured inside Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).

Also, you can go ahead and install NI-DMM today. It's a free download on ni.com. NI-DMM (and most of NI drivers) support simulation. You go to MAX and create your three simulated 4065s. Then you can start writing your program right away. Since these devices are simulated, they won't return the real voltages (obviously) and will not react realistically to hardware triggers if you are using them (obviously) but they will behave close enough to the real deal to allow you to write a lot of the code and to get familiar with the API. No need to wait until you get the hardware - you can be really ready for it by using simulation.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
Message 4 of 13
(7,360 Views)

I don't know if I should ask him again but it has to do with the same topic. i'm just following along what you said and I created 2 smiulated devices to start testing andI get "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)" when I try to test. It happens when invoking the device (myDMM = new nidmm(txtInstrumentDescriptor.Text, true, true));

Where should I go to ask this? Can you help?

thank you for all the help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,321 Views)

Edit: by him i meant here

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,312 Views)

Edit 2: Fixed the problem, had to compile teh app as a x86 platform. I am using x64 computer and when it compiles it tries accesing dll and it won't work. have to make it so  the program is compiled in x86 instead of any cpu (if u using 64 bit os)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,299 Views)

I'm glad that worked for you, and that you figured out the problem.

I haven't tested it, so there may be extra steps, but if you want to use it as a 64-bit executable, you should be able to change the nidmm.cs file to use nidmm_64.dll instead of nidmm_32.dll.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Tobias
Driver Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,291 Views)

@Tobias G wrote:

I'm glad that worked for you, and that you figured out the problem.

I haven't tested it, so there may be extra steps, but if you want to use it as a 64-bit executable, you should be able to change the nidmm.cs file to use nidmm_64.dll instead of nidmm_32.dll.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Hi all,

I have a USB-4065, and I need to integrate it into a TestStand sequence.

Where can I get the nidmm_32.dll?

I have installed driver 3.0,2, but making a search I could not locate this file.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,978 Views)

fmb_al:

nidmm_32.dll is installed to <IVIROOTDIR32>\Bin

From the readme:

<IVIROOTDIR32> is an alias for the following National Instruments file folder location:

• Windows 7 (32-bit)/Vista (32-bit)/XP: Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\
  • Windows 7 (64-bit)/Vista (64-bit): Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI\
    Note $(IVIROOTDIR32) is configured as an environment variable on the target system.
      If you upgraded an installation of IVI, your files may be located in the following location:
    • Windows 7 (32-bit)/Vista (32-bit)/XP: Program Files\IVI\
    • Windows 7 (64-bit)/Vista (64-bit): Program Files (x86)\IVI\

Hope this helps!

Tobias
Driver Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,957 Views)