From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-timed vs SW-timed sequence

I ran both of the following examples:

NI-DCPower Hardware-Timed Voltage Sweep

NI-DCPower Software-Timed Voltage Sweep

on my PXIe-4141 SMU with the Source Delay set to 0.

I captured the voltage sweep on an a scope. I was surprised to find out that BOTH examples produced a staircase voltage ramp with the same delay between each step of about 17ms. I expected the HW-timed sequence to be much faster than the SW-timed sequence. (see attached screenshot)

How do you explain this observation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,082 Views)

Hi, AJ3D.  Here's another forum post that I think answers your question:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/Fastest-update-rate-for-source-operations-in-PXIe-4141/m-p/1923143/high...

And here's a list of attribute defaults for the PXIe-4140/41 http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370736U-01/nidcpowercref/supportedattributes4140_4141/ .  0.016...67 seconds shows up on a couple of different rows: aperture time and source delay.  You minimized only one of those.

Chris

Message 2 of 4
(3,059 Views)

Thanks Chris.

I learn something everyday.

However, I expected the SW-timed sequence to be slower than the HW-timed due to the overhead of CUP-to-SMU communication after each measurement step.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,030 Views)

> However, I expected the SW-timed sequence to be slower than the HW-timed due to the overhead of CUP-to-SMU communication after each measurement step.

It is slower (and also not deterministic), but not so much slower that it jumps out visually in a scope when each voltage is being held for ~17 ms. The time it takes the computer/driver to reconfigure the device is measured in microseconds.
Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
Message 4 of 4
(3,021 Views)