From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency measurement takes too much time

Hello,

I'm using a NI PXI-4070 to measure a signal of 10KHz square waveform with 5V amplitude(from keysight 33500B waveform generator). I programmed with Visual C and just modified from the NI example. I set the minimum frequency as 999Hz so that the aperture time was 2000/999=2.2ms, but it took more than 500ms to read the frequcny. I also set the same parameter in NI-DMM soft front panel, the measure result updated very quick(at least less than 500ms). I test both the function niDmm_Read and niDmm_Initiate/niDmm_Fetch, both of them took more than 500ms. 

Can somebody help to check where I'm wrong? thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,773 Views)

An application called I/O Trace should have been installed along NI-DMM in your system. It will trace all calls made to the NI-DMM (and other) APIs. A good tip is to use this to see how the Soft Front Panel configures the device as you use it.

Also, you should check out InstrumentStudio if you haven't yet, a modern replacement for the NI-DMM Soft Front Panel.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,730 Views)