From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default values from NI DMM PXI-4070?

Hi community,

Sorry for a dumb question here. But, whenever I read measurement values from a virtual DMM, it always gives me R=50 ohm, Vdc = 5V, Idc = 500mA. Are these the default output values for demonstration purpose only? I'm using a virtual DMM, not a physical one. 

Is there a way to connect to a virtual resistor with certain values, such as 1, 10, 100, 1k ohm just to demonstrate the DMM block is working fine? I will also be using a NI switch later together with the DMM.

Thank you.

Annotation 2020-04-20 173321.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,566 Views)
Simulated DMM measurements return a realistic value, but the value will always be the same for a given configuration (with the notable exception of added "noise" on some devices' multi-point measurements). For most measurements, if I recall correctly (I don't have NI-DMM installed at the moment), the simulated value is half of range. What you are seeing is intended behavior.
Tobias
Principal Software Engineer
Driver Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,537 Views)

Thanks! That makes sense.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,504 Views)