Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can PXI-4110 measure current drawn by external DUT while sourcing constant voltage.

Hi,

I would like to know if PXI-4110 can be used to measure current drawn by external DUT while sourcing constant voltage. I would not need high accuracies and hence i do not need SMU if 4110 can do that measurement while supplying voltage.

Thanks you much in anticipation

raju

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,571 Views)

Hi raju,

The PXI-4110 along with all of our SMUs are able to both source a voltage (or current) and measure back both the voltage and current.

Thanks!

Brandon G

National Instruments
Precision DC Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,564 Views)

Hi Brandon,

I am confused about the "readback current"   Does this mean you can just read a programmed current or that you can read the actual current draw when programmed to a fixed voltage.  Our application is that we need a steady accurate +15V,  -15V and 5V plus ground.   The 5V is a higher current source.

We would like to verify that out custom device is not drawing an abnormal amount of current (either high or low) at start up.  Our device normally uses OTS supplies but since there tolerances vary  and we plan on measuring signal near the ±15V rails used for ADCs, we need accurate and steady rails for testing that our device meets tolerance.  I am convinced this device would work well as a steady supply but we would also like to measure the current at all three supplies.

"read back" to me implies fetching what you already set.   I don't want to read back the current.   I want to measure current.   I don't need to program the current just the voltage.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,233 Views)

I have yet to meet a power supply that won't tell you how much current is being drawn.  And since these are Source and MEASURE Units, the readings should be more accurate than a standard power supply.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,227 Views)

You read the actual, measured current consumed by your DUT.  Based on your needs, looks like the PXI-4110 fits your application perfectly. 

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
Message 5 of 8
(7,219 Views)

I have yet to meet a power supply that won't tell you how much current is being drawn. 

They exist:

Agilent's M9186 has no ADCs on the module, and can only source a constant current or voltage setpoint with no integrated readback.  To measure current on the M9186, you must route out a selectable current shunt to the front panel and then use a DMM to measure the voltage... total solution size: 3 PXI slots, versus NI's PXI-4132, which is one slot, better in every regard, and cheaper. 

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
Message 6 of 8
(7,216 Views)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,211 Views)

@Now_With_Underscores wrote:

I have yet to meet a power supply that won't tell you how much current is being drawn. 

They exist:

Agilent's M9186 has no ADCs on the module, and can only source a constant current or voltage setpoint with no integrated readback.  To measure current on the M9186, you must route out a selectable current shunt to the front panel and then use a DMM to measure the voltage... total solution size: 3 PXI slots, versus NI's PXI-4132, which is one slot, better in every regard, and cheaper. 

Of course you bring up negatives of a competitor's product then propose an NI solution!  Nicely done!!!  Smiley Very Happy

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,169 Views)