Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6220 Maximum Number of connected Thermocouples

Hello everybody, 
I have so many Themocouples "more than 800 themocouples" set to measure temperature. I'm planning to use NI DAQ 6220 PCI card "with its associated accessories"  + Labview to monitor the value of measured temperature via each thermocouple. 
Can I monitor all of these "800" Thermocpules using only one PCI 6220 card?

if not ... what is the maximum number of Thermocouples that can be linked to PCI 6220 card?

Any help oor guide lines would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(996 Views)

I would say NONE because 6220 is a multifunctional DAQ with 16bit ADC, for a thermocouple read capability you need 24-bit ADC and additional stuff like CJC that are available in dedicated thermocouple instruments.

For 800 thermocouple, it's up to your budget on how many thermocouples you want to read at a time and at what rate (like measurements per second).

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(960 Views)

You could either take a cDAQ or PXI based approach. In both cases, you would need a chassis and a module.

Some example models,

• cDAQ
    • Chassis - cDAQ™-9179 (14 slot)
    • Therocouple input module - NI-9214 (16ch)
  • PXI
    • Chassis - PXIe-1095 (18 slot)
    • Thermocouple input module - PXIe-4353 (32 ch)
Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(958 Views)

Given the large number of sensors, you may be better off using head-mounted thermocouple-to-profibus converters, such as:

https://www.endress.com/en/field-instruments-overview/temperature-measurement-thermometers-transmitt... 

Thgese can be daisy-chained together, massively simplifying your wiring. Each one can be individually addressed for reading and diagnostics.. This will make your project more expensive, but the vast saving in wiring and fault finding may make it worthwhile.

Head mounted converters will be a pain if you have to work to AMS2750Faerospace pyrometry standard though, because you won't have the acessibility you need to do the instrumentation calibrations.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(839 Views)