Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PCI-6512 (64 Source Outputs) how to get 30 VDC out

Hi,

I'm completely new to control applications, and trying to find my feet rapidly. However, I seem to have stumbled at the first hurdle.

I have a PCI-6512 (64 Source Outputs) card, and am wanting to power 3 actuated pressure valves - each requiring ~15-30 VDC. Using MAX I've tried to generate any signal I can, but have so far come up with nothing. I've selected digital output (port or line), and chosen a channel to send the signal from, but as I get nothing from the screw terminals I guess I'm doing something wrong, or going about this in completely the wrong way. I also have a PCI-6220 card, where this process does work, but as I need the higher voltage signal, this is not ideal, and I assume is not the type of signal I want to generate.

Would i be correct in thinking that for the higher voltage outputs, TTL is not what I want to use?

I presume I've missed something really obvious here, and just need some basic advice from an experienced user! All advice happily received!

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,158 Views)
Hi!

Hope you are doing well! Did you provide the appropriate power to the Vcc? Have a look at page 6 of the Specifications manual and Page 4-5 of the User Manual.
NI 651x User Manual
NI 651x Specifications

If that still doesn't work or is something you have tried, let us know as to how you have setup your hardware.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,134 Views)
Many thanks for your response Adnan, hopefully you can provide a little more help(!)

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to decide where to connect the external power supply to the board (SCB-100), mostly because I want to be sure it's the right place in case I break it!

The manual says:
"The output lines on the NI 6512 consist of photocouplers and Darlington arrays. To connect to these signals, connect a 5 V to 30 V power supply to VCC, connect COM to ground, and cross a load between digital output and COM"

When I look at the pin assignments for the PCI-6512 in the specifications, there are 3 VCC channels for each digital line, and COM and ground seem to be the same pin (as far as I can tell!) for each line. If this is the case, I can't see how to connect this as recommended. Also, my power supply has a + terminal, - terminal and an earth terminal; which pins should these be connected to? I presume my signal would then be output from Px.y where x and y represent line and pin respectively (is this the load it refers to, or is an extra load required for safety or something?)

Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,130 Views)
Hi!

What sort of transformer are you using to convert AC to DC? The input would be three wires (live, neutral and ground) and the output would be two (voltage and earth). These two lines can be then be connected to Vcc and COM respectively.

The Vcc lines would be shared. So, you could connect the voltage line to any of the Vcc pins for that port. Have a look at Figure 1-3 on Page 1-4 of the user manual.

I would also recommend to go through the SCB-100 Installation Guide to get the switch settings right on the connector block.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,120 Views)

i am not authorized to view the attachment file..anyway u can send to me?

@adnan Z wrote:
Hi!

Hope you are doing well! Did you provide the appropriate power to the Vcc? Have a look at page 6 of the Specifications manual and Page 4-5 of the User Manual.
NI 651x User Manual
NI 651x Specifications

If that still doesn't work or is something you have tried, let us know as to how you have setup your hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,495 Views)

i am still blur for the configuration

what does vcc,comm and gnd means

do we need to input >5v to vcc to get a output com of 5v ?

how this really works.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,493 Views)

Hi lizardtrader,

As this thread is now a number of years old, I would recommend that you post your follow up questions on a new thread as you will invariably see a much better response. I would also recommend linking this thread in you new post.

Best Regards,

Christian Hartshorne

NIUK

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,476 Views)